Convert the footage to Equirectangular?

Hi All,

So I would like to know if anyone has a template or workflow to take the footage from the original 360 video file (with the two lenses next to each other in polar setup) and convert to equirectangular?

I am aware the Theta app does this BUT it’s exporting as mp4. I would like to maintain the highest quality (since the source is already sub-par!) then inject the 360 meta data just on final export after gfx/edit etc.

Any tips for how to achieve this or comments on what the theta software is doing to get from the two eyes layout to equirectaunglar would be MOST appreciated.

Best,
Andy

Andy, I think that everyone is using the THETA application on the desktop.

The problem with making a third-party application to convert dual fisheye to equirectangular is that the application will need access to lens distortion information to match the edges of the spheres together. The RICOH camera and desktop application does a good job at this. I haven’t seen a third-party application that can do this. It’s likely that RICOH will improve the video resolution in the future as it is a popular feature request.

There are number of third-party applications that can do the conversion from dual fisheye to equirectangular, but the edges do not line up properly.

The space, technology and workflow are new. I think this will improve in the next year.

Hi Codetricity,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Yeah, it’s early days I guess, just annoying that we have this awesome tech and we’re forced to use their sub-par App…

Even I’ve created clips as .MP4 when I drop onto Theta App I get a really useful error message :

“Failed to convert video (VCPE0000001, VCP)”

I guess its because the MP4 its expecting needs to be the Ricoh type. So I basically need to downsample and pretend my mp4 is from the Theta. (Will update you with developments)

I’ve taken some amazing footage on the Ricoh, but always like to do some post to clean-up and do other extra tweaks + edit. In an ideal world I’d just like to keep as pristine as possible until it needs to be converted/injected with the meta info.

Anyone know where I can submit this request to Ricoh? Maybe some clever soul can reverse-engineer in the meantime(?)

I saw something else on the forum about Cam Twist and a template of some sort, but wasn’t exactly what I was trying to achieve. Maybe something there… Either way. Exciting Times.

Chris @ Mettle if you’re on this forum (which you should be :wink: please give us a one-click solution thru Skybox Studio!

Best,
Andy

Video quality from THETAS 360 Video converted with RICOH THETA application

Better Quality in Windows 10
original_raw 163 Mb16018 kbit/s
win_7er 79 Mb 7692 kbit/s
win10_er 160 Mb 15703 kbit/s

i think You Tube reduce to 8000kbit/s

You can edit the converted Video in Photo Shop Extended,
Adobe Premiere Pro, Sony Movie studio Platinum, pro
and Blender
Blender is an Advanced open souse 3D editor that also can edit and render Video
Runs Stable on all platforms
Check out Mikeycal Meyers Youtube Video Toturials on Blender
and add any filters you like to the video before uploading to YouTube

1 Like

@jcasman and I have meetings with the RICOH product manager in charge of the THETA from time to time. We could create a shared document or poll to provide feedback. Here are the challenges:

• we need a way to prioritize or summarize a broad set of feedback. (my current idea is to run a poll)
  • neither @jcasman nor I are experts in video or photography. For example, in this case, I don’t completely understand downsampling and kbit/s rates.
  • we have limited communication with RICOH engineers and it’s usually around an event such as a hackathon where they want help preparing a demo.

The good parts:

• we talk to the THETA product manager at least twice a month
  • the product manager is open to getting summary information of feature requests and summary feedback from us. He can read English with no problem
  • RICOH is assessing a more formalized THETA developer partner program with clearer benefits and process to participate. As part of the program, there may be a way to release more specs under NDA that third-party developers need to develop more software and accessories for the THETA. @jcasman and I are helping with the planning for the partner program
  • The camera is selling well and there are more resources being put into the camera specifications and the software

Here’s the poll discussion topic. Please add your request to the thread. We will share the features with the product marketing engineering manager for the THETA. He is in contact with the entire product group.

Hi The Video cannot be converted avermedia is it a THETA S Video ?

Hello, I can not convert this file, can you help me? I recorded with avermedia.

[https://www.dropbox.com/s/ej249ey5e5sqnc1/R001069.mp4?dl=0]

thanks Ivano

I can’t convert it. How did you get the video file from the camera to the Mac? Did you mount the camera as a USB drive? Hold the shutter button plus WiFi button when you plug the USB cable in. The camera will remain off. Once it’s connected, then drag the video file to your computer. Do not use automatic import with something like iPhoto.

I don’t have a Mac, but this what I read online. For example, see this community video

I’m sorry, I did not explain, I connected the theta with hdmi to avermedia Live Gamer Portable (LGP) http://www.avermedia.com/gaming/product/game_capture/live_gamer_portable, I recorded files to MP4 (the one I have attached) when the step-theta app goes wrong.
I use to record more of the theta memory, I thought it would work.
Thank you

If you’re using the HDMI output the the THETA as input to another device, it will probably not work. Sorry, this is a common hope, but I do not know of anyone that has got it to work. There is some additional metadata when the video file is saved on the THETA that is not in the stream. I do not know what this data is, but someone from the community told me he thought it dealt with camera orientation.

The only way to do live streaming with good stitching is with UVC blender and you’re limited to a lower resolution.

If you’re running into a problem with the length of the video, you might be able to replace the SD card.

Thanks for your help, for the SD return I fear of affecting Theta, I will try to do it in another way.
Thanks and bye.
Ivano

Hello, sorry one last question (for now :wink: ) the Theta stops after about 30 min. registration, as you can remove the timeout (easily) I read in the post but I did not understand, I’m not a programmer, sorry,
hello Ivano

There are two API commands, the offDelay and the sleepDelay

I’m suspect there’s some app that you can use to set it.

I looked at the official app and did a web search, but I couldn’t immediately find an app to do this. @jcasman or @tyler.edell do either of you know of an app that can do this? If not, I’ll make a screencast video of how to do it using DHC

Just a quick clarification @ivanovoghera - The idea is to keep the RICOH THETA recording beyond 30 minutes? When you say the THETA stops, what do you mean? Why does it stop?

@jcasman I thought he meant that the THETA powers off after 30 minutes when he’s taking time lapse photography. However, now that you ask your question, I could be wrong.

I’ve had to set both the offDelay and sleepDelay on my camera for time lapse, but I’m using the API, not some type of app.

It’s a good question as to why he wants to change the offDelay and sleepDelay. There might be a different solution. In the meantime, I’m making a screencast video as a test.

Yes, I re-read the whole thread to be sure. If @ivanovoghera is running out of memory space for the video, I can’t help with that. If it’s overheating, that’s bad, but I don’t think it would stop recording. If he’s live streaming and recording on a desktop, it should be able to continue beyond 30 minutes, I would think. So, just looking to clarify the question.

@jcasman, I was referring to this question about the timeout. I don’t think it’s related to overheating.

I think that the camera will timeout after 15 or 20 minutes with the default value.

Try turning it on and putting it on your desk for 30 minutes, doesn’t it turn off automatically? There’s got to be an easy way to change that power off setting.

offDelay

Overview

Standby time (sec.) until the power automatically turns OFF.

The current setting can be acquired by camera.getOptions, and it can be changed by camera.setOptions.

Support value
Over 30, less than 1800, 65535 (no power off)

Testing on the desktop now to see how long it goes before power automatically turns off. Currently 10 minutes and counting.

thank you all , I did other tests , streaming on pc until it times out , it stops recording either with battery with power supply , the file it generates is 2.9gb and is not hot Theta , does not go out , it locks the recording. thank you all for the help .
hello Ivano

1 Like

Great to hear that you got it working!