Dec 2017 Firmware Improves Spatial Audio, Purple Fringe, Video Shake, Update Firmware from Mobile

Official announcement in English is here

■RICOH THETA V
・Added a function to correct rotational shake when shooting video.(When transferring to a smartphone with zenith correction turned on)
・Subject shake when shooting video has been reduced.
*Noise may increase depending on the shooting conditions.
・Purple fringing has been reduced.
・Resolved the problem that weakened the spatial audio effect when recording with the 3D microphone (TA-1).
・Changed the default time until auto-shutdown from 48 hours to 18 hours.

RICOH THETA V RELEASE NOTES: Version 1.20.1

*The firmware upgrade for the wireless LAN client mode that was scheduled for 2017 has been postponed until spring 2018.

<How to Update your RICOH THETA>

You need to install Computer application in order to update your RICOH THETA. Please download it from the link below.

For details on how to update using Computer application, see
Updating the Camera Firmware from the Computer Application” in the User Guide .

It is now possible to upgrade firmware for the RICOH THETA V camera from the smartphone app(Android Only).

Release Notes for 1.20.1

• Still image joining accuracy has been improved.
  • Added a function to correct rotational shake when shooting video.(When transferring to a smartphone with zenith correction turned on)
  • Subject shake when shooting video has been reduced.
  • *Noise may increase depending on the shooting conditions.
  • Purple fringing has been reduced.
  • Resolved the problem that weakened the spatial audio effect when recording with the 3D microphone (TA-1).
  • Changed the default time until auto-shutdown from 48 hours to 18 hours.
  • Bug fix
1 Like

After I updated my theta V with new firmware I haven’t been able to transfer images from camera. I cannot use V with my smartphone either. The message keep saying 'WiFi needs to be connected ’ even though the WiFi is connected with V. Any help?

Are you using 2.4Ghz for WiFi? Some phones don’t support 5Ghz. (mine doesn’t)

In this link:
https://theta360.com/en/support/manual/v/content/prepare/prepare_06.html

This step will reset all the WiFi settings:

The password is initialized by pressing and holding the wireless button while the power is on. The power turns off automatically at this time.

Try to “Press and Hold” the WiFi button while the camera is on and then input your credentials again.

Your suggestion didn’t fix the problem. Even though WiFi lamp lits, the Theta App thinks wifi is not connected. My phone is Galaxy Note 8. Until the app is updated it worked fine. It looks like the new update doesn’t work with Note 8. When I tried my old Note 3 with updated app with V, it worked fine.

In the screenshots below:

For image #2, when you click on the dialog, “Wi-Fi has no Internet access”, can you then set the network security to allow access with the camera? There may be a secondary dialog box that opens up a way to configure network security.

I am on a Moto-G phone and do not have the problem you are referring to. I am just guessing as to a possible fix.

You can probably also try official Ricoh customer support as you need the app to use the camera effectively.

Note that theta360.guide is an independent community and not a source of official Ricoh information or support. We’re just trying to share information to help each other out. We may not know about problems or fixes, so it’s good to contact Ricoh and see if this is a known problem.

Thank you very much for your help but I haven’t get any luck. As you suggested, I called Ricoh Support and reported my problem. I was told that I will be contacted after two of their tech support people check on it. I will let you know if they find any solution. Thank you again and have a Happy Holidays!

1 Like

If/when you get a response back from RICOH Support, please post it here, too. I’d be interested in hearing what you find out. Thank you.

Thank for for this update. I’m curious to learn if there is some extra network security setting that changed. As I don’t have a Galaxy Note 8, I can’t test the problem. It’s likely that the Samsung Galaxy Note 8 is running Android 7.1.1 while the Note 3 is running Android 5.0 Lollipop. According to this report, Android 7.1 is only used on 4% of Android phones. It’s possible that there’s a new security setting that was introduced in Android 7.1 that requires some additional configuration for the WiFi to talk to the camera. I’m just speculating and do not know of any actual security setting changes in recent versions of Android.

Information on Samsung Galaxy Note 8 Version

Information on Samsung Note 3 Android version

Now I found that my Samsung Note 8 can communicate with Theta V with no problem. Today is December 29, 2017.
Ricoh Support team hasn’t contacted me yet since I reported the problem. I haven’t seen any new theta S app updates either. However, this problem has been solved automatically today. I just let you know about it.

Thank you very much for your help and wish you a Happy New Year. -pdxpal.

1 Like