Feature Requests (Sept 2016 POLL)

Thanks if it means RAW support without stitching i will check that box also
Great there PTGui will be doing great help with al its features

Edit: forgot Hugin sorry http://hugin.sourceforge.net/

Reviewing the detailed poll results with TK, the RICOH THETA product manager in the US right now. We are going through slides and feature by feature now. He is appreciative of the feedback and wants to continue. He can’t commit to implementing any features, but it’s important for him to understand the requirements from the community.

Thank you.

1 Like

@Dheck, nothing to add to what @codetricity is saying above. We got your RAW support feature request to the product manager. I’ll let you know as I hear more.

I like to secure my camera (or hardcase): never trust a mount. A small bracket on the camera (and preferably also on the hardcase) will make it possible to attach a rope. I once lost a gopro because the mount broke while windsurfing. A security rope could have prevented that. I would hate it to loose my Theta!

The Theta S becomes extremely hot while filming in the hardcase. It actually shuts itself down when becoming too hot. I could max film for 10 minutes using the hardcase. Next version should be better is temperature control and not overheat.

We’ve brought this up and discussed it at length with the product manager.

FYI, you may want to put a household fan on the THETA. This is only occurring during live streaming, right? I haven’t heard of it occurring when the video is saved to the camera. See the note below.

Not sure if there is space on the case itself, but there are accessories to add a string.

Are you looking for a little loop on the camera itself? Where would it fit?

When you say hardcase, are you referring to this?

The accessories can’t work because the mount hole is already in use bij the mount (to attach the camera to my bycicle or helmet). Currently I have a tight rope around the body to act as a safety bracket. My suggestion for the product development team is to make a bracket on the body itself.

The hardcase is similar (picture refers to the one I have). If I go windsurfing I would like to have some extra safety and not lose the camera including hardcase because the mount breaks.

Not during live streaming but during filming with the camera inside the hardcase. Some of the footage:

2 Likes

Wow, the different mount-points (head, sail, pole-off-waist) are fantastic!

A suggestion are to be able to turn transfer off !
Note: the image above are Photo Shopped we docent have the Off
function in the latest Firmware :cry:

When You create Google Maps Step inside Virtual tours

You Shoot one panorama Sphere 3000 x 6000 up to max 4000 x 8000 one meter in between, indoor and one Sphere every tree meters outdoor !

It would be nice to be able to turn transfer off
it would speed up the Google Maps Step inside produktion to a great extend

Just like we to day can turn Sleep Mode Off

Just to clarify, this is the mobile app transferring images from the camera to the mobile phone, right? If so, that’s a fairly simple feature to implement as the mobile app is pulling the images from the camera. I think that the off feature would be of most interest for professional or power user photographers. For everyday consumers, I think they want to have it enabled. Maybe RICOH needs an advanced options button.

I can bring this up. The camera and apps were originally targeted at a consumer audience, offering a low cost 360 camera with reasonable image quality. For this reason, the feedback from professionals and power users is relatively new.

1 Like

Hi Craig
The transfer slows down the Photo workflow quite a bit
I am often shooting things that are moving
waiting for the transfer to finish to take the next shoot the motive are gone or went far away :laughing:
docent feel alone at that point all right !

When shooting with the button on the side it is running nicely, but then the whole hand and photographer
are always standing in the middle :theta:

360 camera with reasonable image quality. For this reason, the feedback from professionals and power users is relatively new.

Ok But the THETA S are actuarily all right with Google Trusted Photos

Image Quality:

14 megapixels or higher (5300 x 2650 px)
 Aspect Ratio: 2: 1
 No gaps along the horizon in the image
 No significant joining errors
 Details must be discernible in bright / dark areas
 Sharpness: no motion blur, subjects in focus
 No disturbing effects or filters

From @RobdEstrube in the official RICOH THETA developers forum. Feature request is “Shoot Theta S from app without initiating processing.” Notice of website closure

Shooting the Theta S from the Android app always invokes image transfer and processing so that we experience the long delay before being able to shoot again. In an event situation ( wedding, etc. ) this means forever missing a lot of potential shots that can never be repeated.Can you offer the simple solution to allow the app to simply initiate capture and storage of the images at the firing rate of the hand-held operation of the Theta? We would then retrieve the images from the camera into the app later for processing as normal. It seem like a simple solution to the vexatious delay issue and open the market to many more users needing the faster firing rate.

@svendus mocked up the settings page for it:

I really want 3,5 mm plug for external microphone in order to send great streaming quiality

The Mapillary community (mapillary.com - a crows sourced and open source street view) our biggest request is faster time lapse (perhaps 2 seconds between and not 8 for full resolution). It is ok that images are post processed, like video. It does not matter if a computer have to chew on them all night.

Most people use smartphones and action cameras, but 360 cameras are getting more popular. Especially the LG, because it does 2 second time lapse, but the Theta S has much better stitching.

@jcasman maybe put the feature request about turning off the transfer into the next meeting agenda? It’s simple to implement and easy to see why people would want it. RICOH also doesn’t need to update the camera to implement it.

This is on the poll and although we don’t know details, we know the audio quality is going to be improved in some way. The main problem is if there’s space on the THETA camera body for a standard jack. It’s pretty tight inside the camera and the jack needs to stick inside. As RICOH/Pentax makes a lot of cameras for professionals, I think they’ll have something to improve audio that is usable.

Although I have an Android phone, I heard a rumor that the iPhone app can have timelapse pictures faster than 8 seconds. Does anyone know if this is true?

The time delay between shots is due to the stitching of the image from dual fisheye to equirectangular. Either the camera needs to have a faster processor or RICOH needs to allow storage of dual fisheye images on the camera.

I believe the poll should be adjusted to reflect the request for

unprocessed still images in dual-fisheye for HDRi special effects to speed up later processing with the RICOH THETA desktop software as part of a workflow

See this post. utjduo explains the requirement in the posts above that.

I think this is different from RAW images.

I think this also came up in relation to the HDR request for the special effects industry where they wanted to download the dual fisheye images and then then batch process them using RICOH software (which does not exist right now)

A few from the Facebook group:

Carl Bennet

• An auto exposure mode where I can set the white balance. When timelapsing dawn and dusk I use auto so it can cope with the transition in light but at a certain point (as with all other cameras) it flickers between the various WB settings
  • To configure the video button to other functions like on other Ricoh cameras. I don’t use video so would like to be able to toggle it to HDR, timer, shutter sound, etc.
  • HDR to have the option to save the over/under exposed files separately
  • To configure the wifi to switch itself off once interval shooting has started
  • The limiter in interval shooting to have a higher limit. 200 is way too few shots as it only makes 8s of timelapse @25 fps.
  • To leave the camera shooting and not have the battery drained or the card full when I can estimate how long I want it shooting for.

Mario Rossi

• Rugged outdoor version
  • Mount for a brace or tether line - that’s a must for a device like that
  • Be able to play stored photos and videos directly through its HDMI port - or fix the PC’s app so it does not have to reprocess, and downgrades the image definition, before playing it.
  • Have a way to turn it on and off while in the water resistant case - we currently have to open the case to turn it on and off. That exposes the camera. Or make a rugged waterproof model.