How To: Facebook Live 360 with RICOH THETA S

What We’re Doing

We’re using a RICOH THETA S to live stream 360 events to Facebook Live 360. The live 360 events can be viewed in VR headsets, on a mobile phone, or in a web browser.

What You Need

• RICOH THETA S in live streaming mode
  • Mac or PC connected to the THETA S with a USB cable
  • THETA UVC FullHD Blender software from RICOH. Called Live-streaming app on their site. download
  • OBS or equivalent encoding software
  • Internet access with good upstream bandwidth
  • Facebook Live 360

Process

1. Set up UVC FullHD Blender. We’re assuming that you have the THETA working with THETA UVC FullHD Blender in live streaming mode. If you do not, refer to the live streaming guide for detailed instructions.
  2. Set up Facebook Live 360
  3. Configure OBS with information from Facebook Live 360 event
  4. Stream from OBS to Facebook Live
  5. From FB Live, stream the event to your audience

Configure Facebook Live

fb.com/live/create

Click on Create Live Stream

Select Location to Post

Show on your own timeline, a group, create an event, or broadcast to a page you manage.

Select 360 video

Make sure you check, This live stream is a 360 video

Get Streaming Information

On Facebook, get the Server URL and Stream Key

Configure OBS

Create Source

Configuration Overview

• Target Resolution: 1080p at 2:1 aspect ratio (1920x960) • Frame Rate: 30fps
  • Target bitrate: 4 Mbps (megabits)
  • Keyframe frequency: 1 I-frame every 2 seconds (minimum) • Audio: AAC
  • Audio Sample Rate: 44.1 KHz
  • Audio Bitrate: 128 Kbps (kilobits)

Configure Video

• Device: THETA UVC FullHD Blender
  • Resolution: 1920x1080 (if using driver above)
  • FPS: Match Output FPS (which is 30 fps)

Configure Stream

Under Settings → Stream

Configure Video

Preview Live Stream on OBS

Note that if you do not see an equirectangular video in live streaming mode, please refer to the live streaming guide.

Start Stream on OBS

Go Live 360 Broadcast on Facebook

View Live on Facebook

Automatically Promote Saved Event on Facebook Timeline

Adjust Sharing, Expiration or Delete

Troubleshooting

Make sure the THETA is in live streaming mode.

Refer to Live Streaming Guide

I need to try this out soon! What was the resulting output resolution from the setup?

1 Like

@gerosan The resolution depends in part on your network speed. I know @codetricity doesn’t have a super fast connection at home when he was testing. Even so, I wouldn’t have high expectations for video quality. RICOH THETA video is not 4K. It’s 1080p but wrapped around a full photosphere.

2 Likes

Thanks for the info!

If you do set it up, would love to get any details. Good luck!

1 Like

It should stream at 1920x1080 @ 30fps if you have 4Mbps uplink speed. Remember that the visible portion in the video window will be less than 1920. The entire sphere is 1920x1080. So, the visible portion might be 1/3 of that. At max resolution, it may look more like 640x480 SD resolution. It’s usable to get a feel for an event.

1 Like

Thanks for detail information.

I have issue with the video after STOP live stream. While lived, the streaming is 720p quality and actually look better than 1080p with youtube 360. But after STOP, the automatic generated video just SD 360p. Do we have any work around for this?!?

I haved posted in another topic: http://lists.theta360.guide/t/facebook-live-360-only-360p-after-stop-streaming/1116

Thanks again for reading!

BR,

I was able to get this working briefly with the new Theta V at 3840x1920 OBS does not need UVC Blender and can recognize the Theta V as a standard video input. Lucky thing because it seems UVC isn’t compatible with the Theta V. :grinning:
still need to do more testing to get the settings right though…
thanks for posting this guide!

Thanks for posting your report. For the THETA V, you can try UVC 4K, available at the link below. It should work with OBS. There’s some tests here.

UVC 4K is now available on the Ricoh site. Here’s the direct link to the original Ricoh article as well as the direct download links for the driver.

https://theta360.com/en/support/faq/c_06_v/304_1/1

Win64: https://theta360.com/en/support/download/liveapp4k/win64
Win32: https://theta360.com/en/support/download/liveapp4k/win32

Great, thanks for sharing those files for UVC 4K! I’ll give that a try on PC. I used it again today on a Mac and OBS, worked pretty well. 4K quality was good and I’m going to be testing out audio options next. Any word on spatial audio in the stream? I don’t see any options for it in OBS…

1 Like

At the current time, I do not believe that spatial audio works with either YouTube 360 Live Event or Facebook 360 live event. It will work from a file with converter software from the Ricoh site.

See this article for spatial audio for video from file.

As the converter simply converts format, I imagine that Ricoh will be able to support live streaming with spatial audio in the future. I have heard no statement from Ricoh about this. I am just speculating because it seems like it is technically possible to me.

I believe that the Mac will work with mono audio for live streaming.

At the current time, audio does not work at all with UVC 4K. You will need to mix it with your laptop microphone or external microphone.

What type of upstream bandwidth do you have? Were you able to check that it was streaming at 4K on Facebook Live Events? You’re one of the early implementers of 360 4K live streaming on Facebook. Good to know that it worked.

I’m getting ~35Mbps up. Viewers were only able to view it at 720p or 1080p though. It still looked a lot better than other options. I only had a few minutes to test today but will do more next week after some traveling. I’ll be a little more scientific next time and save the results too.

1 Like