Solved: Unity Can't Display THETA V Live Stream on Windows 10

I followed the tutorial, I put a screenshot of my result on unity.
At the end I have the two sentences on the console about theta but my sphere remains black.

I tested the streaming with QuickTime and OBS (with different MACs) and it did not work too.

N

Thanks for this additional information.

Please confirm that the camera is in Live Streaming mode.

If you don’t see the word “Live” press the lower button.

When the THETA is connected with USB and functioning as a streaming camera, it will blink, like this:

Reset

Press and hold the power and wireless button simultaneously for more than 6 seconds

https://theta360.com/en/support/faq/c_01_v/8/

If you are able to get the THETA V into Live Streaming Mode, but can’t display it in the Mac QuickTime, it is either the USB adapter or the camera.

If you debug the camera with Mac QuickTime, you should be able to also use Ricoh official customer support as the live streaming to Mac is a supported feature.

https://theta360.com/en/support/contact/

Yes, it’s in Live Streaming.
Maybe it’s because of my MAC version (12.10)? Because I tried on an additional computer (10.12.6) and it worked.

Thank you for your help.

N

I did my test on macOS Sierra 10.12.5.

It’s possible that the older version may not work. Thanks for the report back. It will help other people debug their configuration.

I’m using Unity 2017.1.1f1.

I am testing macOS on a Hackintosh machine with this config:

• NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti,
  • i7 4790K 4 physical cores @ 4 GHz,
  • 16 GB system memory.

Note that on Mac OS X, I was not able to create an ico sphere on Blender with flip normals to project the video to the inside of the sphere. I made the ico sphere on Windows 10. There are other techniques to project the video onto the inside of the sphere, the one I showed with the ico sphere flip normal is easy.

USB Adapter

Before you upgrade your OS, wanted to let you know that I’ve seen problems with the USB adapter on some Mac computers connected to the THETA V in live streaming mode. I’ve seen this with the newer Thunderbolt 3 ports. My friend had two adapters. Live streaming in Unity worked with one, but did not work with the other adapter.

Is it just that the Unity software for Windows 10 doesn’t support Theta V? I will try just run Mac OS on a pc, and download the Unity software for OS. I’ll tell you guys what happens.

1 Like

It runs on Mac OS X.

That demo above is on PC hardware. I installed a second hard disk on my Windows machine for that test. I installed Mac OS X on the test disk.

I was able to use the Theta V live feed (via usb) in Unity(5.6.4) on Windows 10 (version 1703) without much an issue using the materials provided in the Mac OSX thread, with only stylistic differences within the code. Are people still having issues with this?

The only problem I’m having now is with the feed from the Theta V being mirrored. I don’t know much about blender, but I’m using the sphere Craig provided in the first post. I’ve tried several methods(mostly in Unity) to flip the feed with no success, if anybody has any ideas on how to fix that please let me know.

1 Like

Nice!! Megan to the rescue.

I’m using 2017.2.0f3 and still having problems.

What THETA V web cam name are you using? Do you have multiple names like THETA V, THETA UVC?

I got this code from someone else:

It works with a video file. I have not tried it with the live stream.

http://theta360.guide/blog/video,/unity/2016/10/16/video-file-on-unity-sphere.html

`Cull Front` 

Seems like it will get rid of the shader from the outside of the sphere.

I actually don’t understand the stuff with:

#pragma vertex vert
#pragma fragment frag

Very cool, Megan! I’ve seen a lot of people with trouble here. I was trying in on my Mac in December, didn’t succeed. I’ll try again now.

1 Like

You need to install Unity 5.6 on Windows 10 to get in the game here. :slight_smile:

I’m now installing the same version that Megan is using. Then we can try and flip sphere inside of Unity instead of using the flip normals sphere.

I’ve got a Windows 10 laptop here, I’m hoping to work through this soon. :theta:

I have multiple names for the Theta V showing up, and am using the one “RICOH V FullHD”, it also works with the “RICOH THETA V” option. I have not tried the 4K version.

ThetaCams

I was searching for reasons that the camera might not have been recognized by unity by others, and
remembered that I may have messed around with the registries on my computer as per the old Theta UVC solution that craig explained here out of habit while in a frenzy to get it to work on my own. The reg for the “RICOH THETA V FullHD” feed looks like this:
Regs

Honestly I probably was in one of those “debug until it works” moods, and didn’t realize that I wasn’t documenting what I was doing. Unless it works automatically for you guys, I think that’s the fix.

1 Like

Thanks!

I’m making solid progress on Win 10.

I think i needed to add the foo:bar DevicePath

Now with THETA V 4K

2 Likes

Great! I guess that must be the solution! Man now I feel guilty for forgetting to post about it a while ago. Anyway I’ll go ahead and recap the solution for this thread.

1. Open regedit
  2. Navigate to:

For RICOH THETA V FullHD:
Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID{860BB310-5D01-11D0-BD3B-00A0C911CE86}\Instance{05B5709A-D045-4076-AA59-CAF159FEC26E}
For RICOH THETA V 4K:
Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID{860BB310-5D01-11D0-BD3B-00A0C911CE86}\Instance{44ADD235-FE8A-42D8-8B18-CF575554AAB1}

1. Right click - New - String Value. Make the Name of the string “DevicePath”
  2. Right click “DevicePath” and select “Modify Value” and add in a string of some sort. The sample here is “foo:bar”
    Reg5
5 Likes

Wish I could heart this 10 times. Very useful, thank you.

3 Likes

Tested as a standalone app to make sure it runs without the Unity dev environment.

1 Like

Thank you all. This info allowed me to get my Theta V live streaming on Windows 10 in Unity.

3 Likes

Man, I love comments like this

1 Like

I’m testing this on another Win 10 machine as a standalone app. In order to get the registry to appear, I needed to install RICOH THETA UVC 4K, available below:

https://theta360.com/en/support/faq/c_06_v/304_1/

After I installed THETA UVC 4K on my laptop and edited the registry, the standalone application worked on my laptop. The application binary is 14MB. It looks like the application can be deployed on different machines as long as the new machine has THETA UVC 4K installed and the registry is edited.

2 Likes

Great to hear! If you have code that displays the stream to the inside of the sphere, can you share it with @zimmermegan. She’s the one that powered through to find the solutions and shared it with us. She’s trying to use Unity only to do this, not the special sphere I made for the mac tutorial.

1 Like