Apply for Hardware - no-camera-template Supplemental Information

Dream and Build - Apply for Hardware

Supplemental Information

There are 10 RICOH THETA V cameras that will be loaned out. As there are considerably more than 10 applications for hardware, we are asking your help as we assess the likelihood of an applicant finishing a project.

You have the option of modifying the project template listed in Step 1 and submitting it to us to show your skills with Android.

Steps

1. Fork no-camera-template into your own private GitHub repo - GitHub - codetricity/no-camera-template: Template to develop RICOH THETA V plug-ins without the camera
  2. Clone your private repo to your local computer and open in Android Studio.
  3. In Android Studio, under Tools → AVD Manager, create an AVD with the following resources
  • 3GB RAM
  • Screen Size: 5”
  • Screen Resolution: 720x1028
  • System Image: Nougat 7.1 x86
  1. Open no-camera-template in Android Studio

2. Press Run on Android Studio

3. Go into settings of the Android app of the emulator and enable storage permissions

1. Press “Shutter” on the app emulator

1. If your app permissions are set properly, you will see the RICOH THETA image appear on the emulator screen. If the image does not appear, recheck step 6.

1. Log into the AVD with adb shell to see the files in /sdcard/DCIM/100RICOH/

1. Press “Process” to test image processing

1. Verify processed file appears in AVD

1. Put your own image processing code in processImage(String thetaPicturePath) method, line 144

What To Modify

To show that your Android skills, here are some fun challenges. Pick one of the challenges.

Challenge #1: Image Size

The current sample code saves an image that is 400px wide by 200px high. The code is in the method getBitmap(). Change this to a different size. Make it 800px by 400px.

Challenge #2: Change Image Compression

The current sample, converts JPEG to PNG format and sets quality to 50 out of 100. You are going to change two things:

• Modify the code so that it saves the image to WEBP format
  • Lower the quality to 25. This will make the file even smaller.

Challenge #3: OpenCV

This challenge is more difficult because you are using a C library called OpenCV instead of the standard Android Bitmap classes to provide image processing capability. There is an example of using the image processing library OpenCV with the no-camera template. Your challenge is to modify the code for a vertical flip.

You will need to edit the C++ code in this file:

Insert the code below

cv::flip(m_src, m_dst, 0);

Challenge Submission

If you complete one of the challenges, compile the Android Package (apk) and copy the apk into the release folder.

Build APK

Locate APK

Copy APK into “release” folder

Push Changes back to your github repo

git add *
git commit -m 'added apk'
git push

Add Collaborators

Last step for submission. Add these Collaborators, under Settings, to your private repo on GitHub. They will receive a notification through GitHub, will test your code, and send you a confirmation that it works.

• jcasman
  • codetricity

(If your GitHub username is different from your email username, please send jcasman@oppkey.com a quick note letting us know who’s doing the submission. Thank you.)

3 Likes

Done, I added you as collaborators, my GitHub user is: https://github.com/altaga

Solved all the challenges and uploaded one of my own.

1 Like

Challenge Accepted Craig!

I just added jcasman and codetricity as collaborators in my private GitHub repo. I solved the three challenges and added a little bit of my own Android harvest. Hopefully you guys like it.

Btw my Github username is: EddOliver

1 Like