No Longer Working: THETA V with Ethernet

IMPORTANT No Longer Working as of April, 2021

• Community hack to use Ethernet with the RICOH THETA V stopped working with the newest firmware 3.60.1. (verified with three different THETA V cameras)
  • Z1 does not work as of firmware 1.80.1

You can connect the THETA V to the Internet using Ethernet and common USB OTG adapters. When you plug a USB OTG adapter into the THETA V, it will automatically get assigned an IP address from your router using DHCP. You can set a static IP in your router so that you know what IP address the THETA V is assigned.

USB OTG Ethernet Adapter Tested

Test 1 - Pluggable with ASIX AX88772A chipset

Purchased in US.

Although most USB OTG adapters should work, I tested the Plugable USB 2.0 OTG with ASIX AX88772A chipset. I can recommend it as it is cheap, $13.89 with free shipping and it worked immediately. The adapter did not require any drivers or any other software. The MAC address is written on adapter. Most people will want to configure their router to match up the MAC address with the IP, then assign a static IP to the camera from the DHCP server on their router.

http://a.co/7MCF1J5

Test 2 Buffalo

Test contributed by community member.

Purchased in Japan.

Buffalo 10/100M USB 2.0 for LAN Adapter Fits Wii MacBook on eBay

Google shopping link to additional online vendors

Conceptual Overview

The THETA V runs the Android OS, which is a form of Linux, which has a similar to the Windows or MacOS running on your laptop. Similar to your laptop, the THETA V can connect to the Internet using Wi-Fi, Ethernet or USB tethering to your mobile phone.

Unlike your laptop, the USB port in your THETA V usually acts as a USB storage device. To enable the THETA V to work as a USB host, you need a USB OTG device.

Once connected to Ethernet, the THETA V will function the same as if it were connected to Wi-Fi.

Potential Use

As the camera battery is not charged by the USB OTG adapter, potential use is limited to applications where Wi-Fi coverage is unstable due to interference or you do not have Wi-Fi access. If you take apart the camera, it may be possible to bypass the battery and hack an external power supply onto the camera. No one has succeeded with this yet. You could be the first.

Update: Go to the bottom of this thread. The camera can be powered indefinitely with a Y-splitter.

Test With Plug-ins

With the Ethernet connection and the IP address, I can access the plug-in over Ethernet.

Test LivePreview stream from Automatic Face Blur

Test using Vysor over Ethernet

To get Vysor or adb to work with TCP/IP, I needed to run the following command first with the camera connected with a USB cable:

adb tcpip 5555

I got the IP address from my router.

Once connected, I was able to establish adb connection with:

adb connect IP.address:PORT

or with my IP address of 192.168.2.102

adb connect 192.168.2.102:5555

After adb connect to the IP is established, Vysor came right up.

1 Like

Ethernet Solution to IP Conflict

Here’s a possible use for the THETA to Ethernet connection solution. In this solution, the office has no Wi-Fi.

The PC kiosk cannot send API commands to the THETA when the THETA is in access point (AP) mode because the THETA also configures itself as 192.168.1.1. This IP address is already taken by the office router.

Any Ethernet adapter could work. We’ve tested the two adapters shown below. They work without any additional software. Just plug the adapter in and the THETA will get assigned an IP address by your office DHCP server.

The THETA will not charge while it is connected with USB OTG. You will need to disconnect the THETA from Ethernet and plug it into a USB charger to charge the battery.

Your application can disovery the IP address of the THETA through DNS-SD. Here is one example.

Another example using zerconf.

I have a question about the Vysor test over ethernet.

I’m using the theta V connected to the Plugable OTG. Then I want it to connect directly to my Windows PC without a router through the Ethernet port. Is this possible to get the IP? Do i need the router for the IP address or can i find what my PC?

I’ve tried using ipconfig, and downloading a DHCP server, but neither have been giving me the IP (I may have used the DHCP server wrong as well). I also connected to the camera with my phone using the app and got the IP address, but i’m guessing that IP address i’m getting is the one between my phone and the camera.

Thank you for your help,
John Cowan

Yes, you can get the IP address. You need a small program on Windows that does DNS Discovery.

See this.

For an end-user app, search for something someone else already released. For example, here’s one that I have not tested.

The THETA mobile app can also find the IP address of the camera when it is in client-mode.

Here is more information on client mode:

Feel free to ask more questions. I think this process is a bit confusing the first time. Good luck.

Here’s another article on Zeroconf for Windows.

Coincidentally, I just met with @jcasman at HanaHaus in Palo Alto and he was about to test Ethernet with the THETA V.

Hey John,

Just got the Plugable OTC cable, I’m going to be doing some similar testing. Thanks for asking your questions - and thanks to @codetricity for the links and suggestions - I think I’ll be running into similar issues.

Jesse

It’d be great if you could test it on Windows 10 as it’s easy to find the IP address on Mac since Bonjour is built-in.

I have a Windows 10 laptop, I can test it. It’s not my main machine, but I’m happy to try it out.

1 Like

Hey, not adding a ton of info just yet, but giving an update that this weekend I connected to Ethernet easily, directly from my router. It “just works.” I’ll be trying to it set up connected to a Windows 10 laptop using DNS discovery.

try different types of powered USB hubs and other USB OTG connectors to see if there is any way to power the camera while it is connected to Ethernet. I have not succeeded in my tests.

I’m attempting this and purchased the 1st OTG example you tested with. So far, no power from that. I’ve used direct USB streaming to OBS studio successfully, so I understand to toggle to “live” setting for that task, but right now the dongle seems to show no sign of life though plugged into my home router and the Theta V. I’ve also loaded the suggested driver to the Theta, but it will not switch to “live” at the moment. Should the adapter be working (& drawing power from the Theta) any time that the theta is turned on or do I have to switch to a particular mode?

It needs to be plugged into both Ethernet router and the THETA for the lights to go on. No other button or setting needed. THETA needs to be turned on. Any mode of the THETA should work. Does not need to be in plug-in mode. Amber light will flash to indicate network traffic. Please plug the THETA into your home/office router with Ethernet and also plug the dongle into the THETA V and report back.

Hmm. Ok, well I’m starting to suspect my OTG adapter isn’t working right- I will try some other things and report back. Perhaps I will pick up a replacement adapter as well. I have it hooked up just as you’ve done.

I hope you have 100% refund on that if you just bought it. Maybe try with a different cable?

Yep- just an amazon order away! I’ll get it eventually, I’m super excited this functionality exists as it’s critical for my application. After I sort this out, I’ll probably try a battery hack & memory upgrade too.

Does the adapter work if you plug it into a normal Android mobile phone or tablet? Maybe you or your friend has one?

the camera itself wasn’t actually directly accessible previously, but turns out I had flipped my data + & data - to the USB port (it’s soldered in a custom setup- though somehow this didn’t affect my ability to read the Theta as a storage device via usb). Anyway, I’ve since corrected that error and now the adapter seems to at least light up. Regarding your settings though- using OBS I can stream thru the usb provided I switch the camera to “LIVE” mode (& only then). You’re saying that streaming to the ethernet adapter should work regardless of which mode the camera is set to, right?

The adapter appears to be working now as I can see the device as active on my home router. I still cant access it though- either directly via the IP address(in a browser) or via OBS. I haven’t yet found a way to enter the IP address into OBS, should it just automatically detect? Here is a screen shot(s):

Are you using this plug-in?

https://pluginstore.theta360.com/plugins/com.theta360.cloudstreaming/

The normal “LIVE” mode of the THETA will not stream through IP, only USB.

The guide below is old, but may still be useful.

http://theta360.guide/plugin-user-guide/wireless-stream/

You don’t need OBS. The camera can directly stream to YouTube or Facebook using RTMP.

I think USB to CAT5 is what we’re after here, right? The length limit is one of two big detractors from the USB only plan- if I can find a way to get to stream to Ethernet I will be in great shape. I feel like I’m really close now that it can be seen on the network, so I’m just going to keep trying things. It’s a strange application, I know, but I really need a wired output beyond USB (though I’m still grateful for USB). I have the YI 360vr cam also, but instead pursued this one because of that wired streaming output possibility. (which was originally a spec of the YI- also it has an HDMI out but that completely just doesn’t work- definitely a half-baked camera)