No Longer Working: THETA V with Ethernet

Okay, I think because in Ricoh R they separate the power from the streaming USB so the adapter won’t work without power from the camera. That’s just my guess but not really sure.
I think I’m gonna go with Theta V

Suggest you buy it from a place with a return policy as it is not a supported feature by ricoh to Livestream over Ethernet. Only one person has reported success charging the camera while it is live streaming with USB to Ethernet.

Now I’ve the theta V with the USB Ethernet adapter and I can see the camera in the network using an ip scanner. Does anyone get it to work on windows 10 like streaming with it over ethernet?

The wireless live streaming plug-in is specifically designed to stream RTMP to go to YouTube and places like YouTube.

You can try the THETA RTSP Streaming plug-in to go to places like Windows 10 using something like VLC.

Go to the section, “THETA V and THETA Z1 Streaming with Wi-Fi” in the document below.

http://theta360developers.github.io/community-document/live-streaming.html

Although the section is on Wi-Fi, the RTSP plug-in is streaming using an IP address and should work over Ethernet. I have not tried it yet. If you get it working, you may want to try the GoPro VR Player with the THETA V using the RTSP plug-in as I think it works with the 360 “VR view” of the live stream.

THETA V Live Streaming for 24+ Hours and Still Going Strong!

Using the RTSP plug-in and Ethernet with a wall charger.

Actively updating the test results with more information on this site:
THETA Live Streaming

1 Like

Wow, that’s fantastic! I’ve used live streaming over USB with a THETA V before, but after about 8 hours the batteries were nearly depleted. Lasted a full day of demos, which was great, but it just extended the charge, it was not sustainable like you’re doing.

1 Like

Test 1: Low resolution RTSP streaming
after 27 hours of live streaming, the battery state was charged!

Test 2 and 3: 4K streaming - no external fan

Restarted test at 3840x1920 resolution.

At 3849x1920, the first two tests failed at different points in the night. I don’t know the exact length of operation before failure.

I’m doing anotion test with a household fan pointed at the camera to isolate that the problem is with heat.

Test 4: 4K Streaming Setup and Results

• 4K video stream with RTSP (3849 x 1920)
  • household fan pointed directly at camera body on lowest fan setting

Note: The fan is fairly loud in my office. The plug-in does not transmit audio, so this setup might be useful for surveillance, especially if you put the fan below the camera.

So far, I’ve streamed for 10 hours 15 minutes with 4K @ 30fps and it’s still going.
Turned off fan at 10 hours 15 minutes

1 Like

Hello,

I have a question for you … I want to take photos with long exposures of the sky to upload those images to a telescope web. Is a theta z1 camera possible for this purpose? What do I need and what steps do I have to follow?

This is our website:

http://grantecan.es/gtc-live

I really appreciate the help !!

Thanks a lot

People use the Z1 for star shots. You can search on Google or Facebook groups for example. I personally don’t take night shots of stars. Here’s what I know.

The Z1 has a mobile app that can set parameters such as shutterSpeed. The max value is 60 seconds open per shot.

Available values: Notice of website closure

the Z1 has aperture values of 2.1, 3.5, 5.6
Notice of website closure

ISO values Notice of website closure

We had an intern over the summer that made some shots with a V.

1 Like

Hello, I have some questions about it.
I use a USB OTG cable and two different types of USB ethernet which uses AX88772A chipset (Ugreen U-20254 and Nexi NX-UE20F).
I change my theta to client mode, it is connected to the router and has a solid green wifi icon.
Then I plugged in the USB OTG + ethernet cable, but nothing works.
Is the procedure in this thread works well in the latest firmware?

Does anyone happen to know if there is a way to download and flash an older version of the Firmware? I cannot find a way to do that currently, but if someone knows how, that’d be a lifesaver.

I do not believe it is possible. sorry.

Hi, sorry to dig up an old thread, but does anyone know if the USB Ethernet adapter works with a Z1 and/or with the latest firmware on a V? (I see V is now on 4.70.1 and Z1 is on 2.00.1).
I’m looking to purchase and this will affect my decision.

Many thanks!

The Z1 loses charge with the USB adapter. You can’t stream it 24x7 or maintain it for long periods of time with the WebAPI over Ethernet with the adapter.

The best solution is to connect the Z1 to a small computer like a Raspberry Pi and connect the RPi to Ethernet. If you post more details on your use case, we can provide more opinions on options.

Hi Craig and thanks for the reply. If I used a ‘Y’ splitter cable with a suitable power supply as suggested would the Z1 keep charge? Do you know if USB/Ethernet adapters work on the Z1 at all?

My use case is to install the Z1 in a lab environment and allow developers to remotely access it. For that I’d need it to be accessible 24/7 (though only streaming for a few hours at a time) through the API and Ethernet allows a much easier connection. WiFi would be 2nd choice. Interested in your thoughts.

Thanks

I have tried 3 different Y splitter cables with the Z1 and the camera loses charge with ethernet. Ethernet did work with earlier firmware. I have not tried with 2.00.1.

Connect the Z1 to a Raspberry Pi or Jetson Nano with a USB cable and allow them to ssh into Raspberry Pi to use the USB API. 11 video playlist on USB API. First video in list will give you an overview.

The Z1 streaming over Wi-Fi is motionjpeg and is limited to 1920x960 @ 8fps or 1024x512 at 30fps.

You cannot control the USB stream with the WebAPI (OSC API)

Please advise:

1. where is the stream being displayed? Do the developers need to see the stream? Is it being displayed locally on a computer with desktop sharing?
  2. What is important for the requirement: latency, resolution, framerate.
  3. What is the slowest framerate usable? Can you use still images? Or, does it need to be a stream?

If they can use still images, then connect to a Rasbperry Pi and use the WebAPI.

If they need a stream, please post again as there are different considerations.

2 posts were split to a new topic: Question: RICOH Official Support of USB-C Ethernet Adapter in THETA X?

Hi!

I just wanted to inform you that I tested THETA V with FW 3.81.1, REALTEK USB208B network adapter and RTSP plugin. I don’t have yet the splitter to check the charging state but the lights are on and the camera streams successfully. The latency is terrible, about 2sec,

2 Likes