THETA SC2 problems when using Samsung Note 8 (Android 9)

Moderator’s note (@jcasman): Changed the title of this tread on Nov 22, 2020, to include more specific details on smartphone model to help with search

Original post included below:

Would appreciate help.

New theta sc2. Unable to transfer photo modes in the option setting (Noise reduction, DR compensation, HDR rendering) and in the preset (Face, Night View, Lens-by-Lens Exposure). The camera only shoots in auto mode, the aperture and other modes cannot be changed

1 Like

Are you using the official RICOH mobile app for this?

Can you provide more information? For example:

• what mobile phone - Example Android 10, Pixel 4
  • any other symptoms - example, camera and mobile app lose connection or connection is stable
  • using Wi-Fi (did you try with Bluetooth turned off?)
  • Did you upgrade the firmware?

From looking at the API, I feel that you may be using the Bluetooth API, not the Wi-Fi API. The Bluetooth API can’t change all the options.

Try turning off Bluetooth on your phone and connect only with Wi-Fi

In addition, it is unable to manually control the aperture and other manual options

upgrade the firmware? yes

• using Wi-Fi (did you try with Bluetooth turned off?) yes, using the wi-fi

Are you using the official RICOH mobile app for this? yes

Hi and thanks for the quick reply.
I probably realized that my problem is that my cell phone does not support all the camera options. Unable to transfer photo modes in the option setting (Noise reduction, DR compensation, HDR rendering) and in the preset (Face, Night View, Lens-by-Lens Exposure).
I have a Samsung Note 8 (android 9) and I am not able to use most of the camera options with it. In a relative’s iPhone 11 all the options work. Which Samsung mobile phones support all the camera options?

Try turning off mobile data LTE and battery saver on your samsung phone and retry.

Try turning off Bluetooth on your phone and connect only with Wi-Fi -
Not helping, still not working

Not helping, still not working

If it helps you and makes you more comfortable, I can call you on the phone and do things while talking

hi, thanks for the note. Just so you know, I don’t work for RICOH. This is just a community forum that is independent of RICOH. We. receive sponsorship, similar to a magazine receiving sponsorship. Your best course to solve the problem is to call the official RICOH customer support, which is probably different depending on the country.

You may have a manufacturing problem with your camera. We can’t really help with those problems on this community discussion group.

https://support.theta360.com/en/contact/

Note that this forum sends out email from the public forum to your registered email. If you reply to the email and the footer has your phone number, it will appear in the public forum. To protect your privacy, I deleted your phone number from your posts.

Please be aware that when you reply to the email, the response functions like a mailing list and gets posted to the public forum. You may want to hide your phone number to protect your privacy.

Thank you craig. Really appreciate your help, it’s not obvious.
Beyond contacting Richo I will contact the supplier on Amazon to replace my camera. It seems to me very strange that I am the only one who fails to activate the camera with a Samsung mobile phone. Also, I would not want to run into additional issues with the camera down the road

:pray::pray:

As the camera is new, you should definitely contact RICOH support as you need the mobile app to get full use of the camera.

You can try to reset the settings by pressing and holding down the power and wifi buttons simultaneously for around 18 seconds. The camera should reboot.

My understanding is that the official support will talk to you on the phone and walk you through the settings.

I contacted the manufacturer’s customer serviceat richo a week or more ago and he referred me for further treatment with the representative office in Israel. I tried to contact a representative here in Israel but he is quite evasive in returning to me. The field of 360 photography and the variety of cameras that exist here in Israel is very much in its infancy. This camera cannot be purchased at all in Israel.

If they get back to me from the manufacturer, can I mention that you and I correspond between us by email?

Overall I wanted a quality 360 camera for beginners and instead I found myself on an unending journey🤦‍♂️

itai