REFERENCE: RICOH THETA V specifications

From the RICOH THETA V FAQ site, THETA V specs: https://theta360.com/en/support/manual/v/content/add_info/add_info_01.html

Image sensor:
1/2.3 CMOS (Effective pixels: Approx. 12.0 megapixels) × 2

File size (still images):
5376 × 2688

File size and frame rate (videos):
3840 × 1920, 29.97 fps
1920 × 960, 29.97 fps

File size and frame rate (live streaming):
3840 × 1920, 29.97 fps
1920 × 960, 29.97 fps

Lens:
Aperture: F2.0
Lens construction: 7 elements in 6 groups × 2

Capture mode:
Still image: Auto, Shutter priority, ISO priority, Manual [1]
Video: Auto
Live streaming: Auto

Shooting distance:
Approx. 10 cm to ∞ (from front of lens)

Exposure control mode:
Program AE, Shutter speed priority AE, ISO sensitivity priority AE, Manual exposure [1]

Exposure compensation:
Manual compensation (-2.0 to +2.0 EV, 1/3 EV steps) [1]

ISO sensitivity (standard output sensitivity):
Still image: ISO 64 to 1600 (Auto), ISO 64 to 3200 (ISO priority, Manual) [1]
Video: ISO 64 to 6400
Live streaming: ISO 64 to 6400

White balance mode:
Still image: Auto, Outdoor, Shade, Cloudy, Incandescent light 1, Incandescent light 2, Daylight color fluorescent light, Natural white fluorescent light, White fluorescent light, Light bulb color fluorescent light, Color temperature settings (2500 to 10000 K) (*1)
Video: Auto
Live streaming: Auto

Shutter speed:
Still image: 1/25000 to 1/8 seconds (Auto, Shutter priority), 1/25000 to 60 seconds (Manual) [1]
Video: 1/25000 to 1/30 seconds
Live streaming: 1/25000 to 1/30 seconds

Recording medium:
Internal memory: Approx. 19 GB

Number of images that can be recorded and recording time [2]:
Still image: Approx. 4800 images
Video (time per recording): Max. 5 or 25 minutes [1] [3]
Video (total recording time): Approx. 40 minutes (4K, H.264), approx. 130 minutes (2K, H.264)

Power source:
Lithium ion battery (built-in battery) [4]

Battery life:
Still image: Approx. 300 images [5]
Video: Approx. 80 minutes [5]

Image file format:
Still image: JPEG (Exif Ver. 2.3)
Video: MP4 (Video: MPEG-4 AVC/H.264, Audio: AAC-LC (mono) + Linear PCM (4ch spatial audio))
Live streaming: (Video: H.264, Audio: AAC-LC (mono))

Other:
Self-timer shooting, Interval shooting, Multi bracket shooting

External interface:
Micro-USB terminal: USB 2.0
Microphone terminal [6]

Remote release:
CA-3 (optional)

Dimensions:
45.2 mm (W) × 130.6 mm (H) × 22.9 mm (17.9 mm [7]) (D)

Weight:
Approx. 121 g

Operating temperature range:
0 to 40°C (0 to 104°F)

Operating humidity range:
90% or less

Storage temperature range:
-20 to 60°C (-4 to 140°F)

[1] A smartphone is required to change modes or configure manual settings.

[2] The number of images and time are guides only. The actual number differs according to the shooting conditions.

[3] Recording stops automatically if the internal temperature increases.

[4] Charge the battery by connecting it to a computer using the provided USB cable.

[5] The number of images that can be taken is a guide based on RICOH’s measurement method. The actual number differs according to the usage conditions.

[6] Do not connect any device other than the 3D microphone TA-1 to the microphone terminal.

[7] Excluding lens section.

They still have to do something about that maximum operating temperatures.
specs above state “0 to 40°C (0 to 104°F)”
and if it is 0 to 40C that is 32 to 104F.

I guess that the Theta is an indoor camera here in Las Vegas. Today was 105F tomorrow it will hit 107F and the next day 106F.

1 Like

Hope you have the air conditioning in tip-top shape, Bob!

Fingers crossed. So far, so good.

Bob, do you know anything about using longer USB cables with a THETA? I’m looking to set it up with something like a 20ft cable but am worried that some cables don’t seem to work. Any hints?

20 feet is pushing the limit on USB data cables. I would try the best quality USB extension cable that I could find. This looks like a potential candidate. https://www.amazon.com/Extension-Extender-Playstation-Keyboard-Printer/dp/B07C2X984S/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1529083196&sr=8-3&keywords=20+usb+extension+cable&dpID=41XKeXHiRIL&preST=SY300_QL70&dpSrc=srch

It is rated for USB 3 speeds so it should be beefier and better built then a USB 2 extension.

1 Like

Oh, excellent. And extender instead of a full cable, interesting. I ordered this guy, fingers crossed. If it doesn’t work, I’ll try your suggestion. Appreciate you taking a look and forwarding the link.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N2QQ7HQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The one that you ordered looks like a nonstandard configuration. Most likely just meant to provide power and not data.

I suggested an extension cable because they are normally just wired pin to pin so they will take any configuration by just adding your “approved” cable to it.

1 Like

Oof. Well, It’s arriving today, so I’ll test it and see. If it doesn’t send data, I’ll probably try your suggestion. Thanks.

Which cable did you end up using at the show for the demo? Also, in the booth, do you think that the THETA V can stream indefinitely while receiving power from the USB cable? If the battery starts to drain, try plugging it into the USB 3.0 port (the blue insert) and see if it gives it any more juice.

Here’s what it ended up looking like, mounted on top of a 7.5’ stand!

As @bob_white pointed out, I initially bought the wrong cable. Annoying. Rereading the details, it’s obvious that it’s not made to transfer data. Anyway, I was low on time before hopping a plane for New York, so I bought a 10ft USB cable at Walgreens for under $10:

https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/infinitive-wall-braided-micro-usb-cable-10-foot/ID=prod6365132-product

I tested it before leaving, it worked.

To answer @codetricity 's question about charging while live streaming, I started with a fully charged THETA V, had it connected into the USB 2.0 port on the laptop, and it lasted from 8:30am to 5pm the first day, recharged overnight, and then again 8:30am to 4:15pm the second day. The blue power LED was blinking by the end of the day indicating that the charge was below 30%, so it’s not fully recharging. In fact, it’s clearly slowly depleting over time. I would like to test it in a USB 3.0 port, but at DeveloperWeek, that port was being used by the HTC Vive headset on the laptop.

Adding some more detail, we wanted to mount the THETA somewhere that would really give people a feel for what telepresence can do. 4K live streaming video at 30fps is great, but if you’re not really transported somewhere different, it’s less interesting.

We used this basic Fovitc stand:

Plus we borrowed a 5’ monopod, to get up about 12+ feet in the air.

How’d it look inside the HTC Vive? Quite a wild perspective to be looking down from that height. You could see over the next row over of booths at the event.

Yes, of course, we used copious amounts of Duct tape to anchor the stand/monopole:

VR selfies are hard:

Ready for your turn?

2 Likes

This is a great demo. Looks really good.

If you take the selfie with the THETA V, you can get the equipment and the person in the same picture. The person viewing the picture has to rotate it.

There’s a generally challenge of how to use 360 pictures for documentation purposes. I think there’s both technology challenges and human technique.

I’ve been trying to use 360 images more for storytelling and I’m still struggling. These pictures are selfies:

By rotating the picture, I’m also in the shot.

I think that it’s easier to take a standard shot because the photographer can control the view of the audience. The 360 picture requires new techniques to get the audience to rotate the picture.

The Ricoh ads and general theta360.com site use auto-rotating to show the entire image. Those images above are click-to-rotate on Facebook, which means that almost no one is going to see the entire image.

1 Like

Jesse,
You could go with a powered USB 3.0 hub.
Just make sure that it supplies full USB 3.0 on all ports and that the hub is powered externally.
Bob

2 Likes