Selecting the right Theta for a task

I’m a beginner to Theta cameras, looking to select the right model (from S, SC, SC2, and V) for a specific task. I’d like to live-stream the camera feed to a local computer (probably a Raspberry Pi, or a small Ubuntu machine), which then processes the frames in Python (e.g. with OpenCV) and then sends those onward to a remote VR headset (like a smartphone in Google cardboard) which then sees what the camera sees. I already have most of the second half figured out; the first half involves setting up a camera I can live-stream and process in Linux.

I’ve read through many related topics on this forum, including the streaming guide and I’m unclear about which Theta to select. It seems that Theta V has the best live-streaming but is based on UVC 1.5 which the Linux kernel does not implement. Theta S has UVC 1.0 and so should be accessible to OpenCV as a standard USB webcam (if I’m not mistaken) but it’s unclear if it has live-streaming.

Can someone recommend the right pipeline for me? Thanks very much!

THETA V.

You can use the THETA V with MotionJPEG at low framerate.over Wi-Fi it also has the capability to use plug-ins.

I do not think the SC and SC2 can stream using the USB cable.

https://community.theta360.guide/tag/opencv

Over the USB cable, the THETA V uses UVC 1.5, which Linux does not support. However, there are many examples running code inside the THETA V for processing. You can also use Wi-Fi MotionJPEG.

The THETA S is viewable as a USB webcam to Linux, but it is in dual-fisheye. The camera is also an older model. Most people are using the V with OpenCV using internal processing or MotionJPEG