Wireless live stream to VR hmd

Hi!

After digging through a lot of different articles I wasn´t able to find an answer to my maybe basic question: We are looking for a solution how to stream the 360 video in realtime and wireless from Theta V (or Theta S) to a VR device, which can be either Oculus Go, Oculus Rift or HTC Vive. We have a setup to grab the livestream via USB but for our project it´s essential to have a wireless livestream. So far all solutions seem to only enable access to prerecorded pictures and videos.

Can you please give me a hint, or for my beginner understanding the crucial steps to establish a realtime livestream to a VR hmd? If the stream is posssible and in the best case also recognized as a camera like in the USB setup that´d be the greatest thing.

I´m thankful for every help,
thank you very much in adavence and have a nice day!

1 Like

There are different strategies. Please advise on requirements:

Resolution

Do you need 4K streaming or is HD enough?

Delay / Latency

What is the latency (delay) requirement? 1 second? 5 second? Can you stream to YouTube and then view it in a headset?

Equipment

Is it okay to mirror from a desktop / laptop computer?

1 Like

Hi!

resolution is secondary, so FullHD is enough since our main requirement is having the latency as small as possible.
So to make it a bit more visual: we have a toy car exploring a scenery. The Theta V (or S, we´re working with both) should be attached to the car and stream the 360 degree video to a computer which has a VR hmd attached, or in the other case to Oculus GO. Since the user with the headset should steer the car himself we need the smallest delay possible.
I have a setup with the videofeed put on a sphere as texture when it´s attached with the USB. Is there any way to have a similar setup wirelessly?

Thank You!

1 Like

Have you looked at this project from @Jake_Kenin ?

He generously put it out as open source!

Also check out this:

What is the distance between the car and the headset?

1 Like

Thank you very much for the description. Since we have limited resources we´re looking for a solution which doesn´t involve additional hardware, which seems quite tricky, maybe impossible?. If there´s no other option we´ll try to get funding for the Ubiquity Omni approach.

We´re starting in the same room (10 meters maximum) and depending on the stability extend it afterwards.

The technique below will work with a $30 Raspberry Pi and Wi-Fi USB connector. You can likely eliminate the Raspberry Pi and just have the browser connect to camera directly. If you’re testing at 10 meters, Wi-Fi will work and the equipment is cheaper. :slight_smile:

You can use A-Frame for the VR headset experience with WebVR.

The solution below is not streaming, but maybe you can incorporate it into your car. You can use the headset to display the full-resolution still images for detail inspection.

We have a similar application. We want a person sitting back in the vehicle to view car’s dashboard through android based VR headset. The Theta V will be mounted at the dashboard. Is there a way to livestream Theta V and view it in the VR headset. (YouTube will create latency in our case.)

PS : I am very new to Theta V and not an app developer.