CRYENGINE Humble Bundle

I have not tried CRYENGINE with the THETA V, but did notice that there’s a great deal on HumbleBundle for CRYENGINE assets and sample games for inspiration.

You can pay at little as $1 and get the Crysis 3 asset pack as well as some games. Seems like a great deal.

A quick search of the Unity forum does indicate that the assets can probably only be used with Cryengine, not with Unity. I think that the assets can be technically imported into Unity and used, but that the license restricts use to Cryengine.

https://forum.unity.com/threads/humble-cryengine-asset-bundle.391922/

There’s also some restrictions on commercial use of the assets.

However, for prototyping, the assets could be really useful to show proof of concept.

Although Cryengine is not as popular as Unity, it is the basis of Amazon Lumberyard and thus there may be a resurgence of development activity in the future.

As far as I can tell, there doesn’t seem to be a way to use a webcam as a texture in Cryengine. If anyone knows whether it is possible or not, please comment.

I have the bundle and first checked out the soundtrack for Aporia. It’s kind of a moody theme, but might be good background music for some 360 image tours. You can hear part of the track here:

The unfortunate thing is that there is no license file in the pack that explains usage rights and restrictions. This is a bummer for something that is sold as a game developer pack. The implication is that it can be used as background music in applications and videos. However, it’s not 100% clear that the license allows this as there is no license file. :frowning:

I purchased game assets from HumbleBundle before and it came with clear license use.