HDR plugin to automatically create EXR file. For VFX use

Appears to be not viewable in Windows File Manager

We need to figure out a way to get the file onto a Windows machine and delete it from the camera for people without access to adb.

Non-developers also can’t use Vysor to delete the file as Vysor requires adb.

We should test:

1. any existing Windows desktop app used to manage normal Android phones and see it works with the THETA V
  2. Wi-Fi api to see if the RICOH API can view, delete, and transfer the EXR file
  3. Ask RICOH people we know if they have an idea on how to solve this problem

@codetricity yes that is exactly what i mean. Version 2 will solve this problem because I intent to make it possible to download through the web interface. But in the mean time we should think of an alternative.

Does adb not work when not being a developer?
Alternatively I could probably write a python script to download the files i guess but i should look into that.

1 Like

Unfortunately, I do not think adb will work if the person is not a developer. For adb to work, the camera needs to be in developer mode, which requires the person to join the partner plugin program. Joining the program is free, but realistically too much of a hassle for most people.

Jesse and I will continue to help you look for a solution.

Then for now I think the best solution is adding a python script that copies the files. Shouldn’t be to hard.

I look into it.

1 Like

We can test the assumptions about “Developer Mode” by turning it off as explained in this article.

I’m got this error on the build and added the minSdkVersion to build.gradle in the openCVLibrary section. After the minor change to the gradle file, it builds.

ERROR: Manifest merger failed : uses-sdk:minSdkVersion 1 cannot be smaller than version 9 declared in library [com.android.support.test.espresso:espresso-core:3.0.1] /home/craig/.gradle/caches/transforms-2/files-2.1/52087f1a134c863438d388d5c643f3da/AndroidManifest.xml as the library might be using APIs not available in 1
	Suggestion: use a compatible library with a minSdk of at most 1,
		or increase this project's minSdk version to at least 9,
		or use tools:overrideLibrary="android.support.test.espresso" to force usage (may lead to runtime failures)

@codetricity the apk should be on github aswell so you can download that one. It is in /app/build/outputs/apk/…

On my ipad right now so can’t look into it anyfurther

1 Like

Yea, can confirm, that’s where I grabbed it from and then installed it and ran it. Your built apk works for me.

Sample EXR File for Testing

This is a link an EXR file built with the plug-in as of April 29, 2019.

I am using this apk that I built from source on April 29, 2019

Update: I put a link to Kasper’s post on a few social media places to try and get help with the testing and also more ideas on how to solve the Windows 10 file transfer and deletion issue.

1 Like

Thanks to @ZZChu for the reminder: There’s an easy solution on Mac called Image Capture. Can use it to copy images in the THETA and to delete files as well. It’s included with MacOS, does not need to be installed, no need for drivers.

Nice find.

On Windows 10, did you try clicking on the box for “Show hidden items”?

I haven’t tried this yet.

Good idea, but it doesn’t work for me. .exr file does not show up in File Manager. Can see it using adb shell.

I put this out on Facebook here.

Here’s some comments from people. That’s at least 3 people that would probably use it as soon as it’s in the store.

1 Like

+1 me :slight_smile:

2 Likes

this is a super nice result !

2 Likes

Hey!

This is awesome. I’ve spoken to you about this at Siggraph last year, Jesse… Looks like Kasper already build it. Really awesome. I’ve succesfully used the Theta V quite a lot to shoot hdri’s for VFX and can’t wait to give this a try. However, I’ve just swapped my V for a Z1, would this work on the Z1 as well?

Cheers, Ton
(Ambassadors/ SquarePXL)

2 Likes

Hey @squarepxl! Great to hear from you! Yes, this is similar to what we were discussing. You should test it and tell us how it works on your Z1. If you want help, let me know. I believe that it will work with a Z1, but I haven’t tested it myself.

The super cool thing about this plug-in is that it takes a first auto-exposed picture to exposure settings. Then based on that, it sets the ISO and starts taking bracketed pictures. No fiddling with settings!

I’ll try to install it somewhere this week and will let you know how things go!

Thanks, Ton

1 Like

I received this idea from an engineer familiar with the RICOH THETA. It seems like a reasonable idea to try. If we modify the plug-in to save the EXR file with the name R05061009_EXR_CHANGE_EXTENSION.JPG, the user of the plug-in can then download the file and change the name to R050061009.JPG

"If this is the case, the reason is that it is not registered because of the unsupported extension.
As a countermeasure, if you output the extension of EXR file as JPG, it will be visible in File Manager, so I think it is better to change the extension to EXR after pulling it on Windows PC. "

Enable File Extension View on Windows 10

To use this technique on Windows, you’ll need to disable the “Hide File Extension Option” on Windows File Explorer.

Reboot THETA V

In order to view camera files with Windows 10 file explorer or Mac Image Capture, I needed to reboot the camera by pressing and holding down the power button for 8 seconds.

Copy Files from THETA to Computer

Drag and drop the files using Windows File Explorer or Mac Image Capture.

Rename File

Change the extension by right-clicking on the file

Test File Integrity

Open in an application like Luminance HDR that lets you inspect and edit the file.

In Luminance HDR

Delete Files from Camera

To save on storage space, delete files from camera.

If you want to test this file, here is an apk of the modified version. If you use this apk, remember to set the storage and camera permissions using something like Vysor.

Sleep Mode

As the plug-in takes 2-3 minutes to take and process an EXR file, you should prevent the camera from going into Sleep Mode too quickly. Using the official RICOH mobile app, you can set the sleep mode higher by accessing the camera settings.

1 Like

It works on a Mac, too. It appears that it’s important to reboot after taking a round of bracketed images. I can copy and delete using Image Capture.

Very nice.