Is it possible to connect to the network while connected to a pc?

Hello, I have a plugin that sends via web socket the live preview of the cámera.
This cámera, ideally, has to be connected to a robot (mostly due to battery length). Is there any way for the camera to have network access while connected to the robot? Or do I have to unplug it?

Please provide more information on your setup to help us understand the problem.

If you want to connect an external device (like the robot) to your plug-in, you can run a web server inside the plug-in, such as nanohttpd or build your own server with Java.

If your question is how to connect the camera to a Wi-Fi network while it is in plug-in mode, then you just set the camera to connect to wi-fi router as a client. In this case, both the robot and the camera are connected to the same router.

If you are trying to connect your camera to the robot with Ethernet, then you need a y-splitter on the USB OTG adapter to power the camera when it is connected to the robot with Ethernet.

What I meant was that I need the camera to be connected to the robot via USB (the robot has a pc inside). The camera has a plugin running that requires internet connection. However, when I connect the camera to the PC/robot the wifi turns off. Is there any way for the camera to remain connected?

Thank you

1 Like

Are you running USB API commands over the USB cable? Or, is the USB cable only for 5V power to the camera?

If you don’t need the USB API commands, you can use this small device.

BTW, the technique below may also work, but the document is quite old and out of date.

On my camera, the Wi-Fi does not shut off when I plug the camera into my computer.

1 Like

On my camera, the Wi-Fi does not shut off when I plug the camera into my computer.

Hmm that’s weird, when I connect mine to the pc it disconnects from the network. Do you have any idea on what the reason might be?

1 Like

did you follow the document and try this:

adb shell settings put global usb_debug true
2 Likes

Hi!

Just a tought: in theory you could consume network via USB too, while charging at the same time, you wouldn’t need wifi to have internet in plugin.

Laszlo

I’m not sure that the camera will respond to TCP/IP over the USB cable without an Ethernet adapter.

Physical Device Interface Protocol Charging Possible with USB Tested
WiFi OSC, WebAPI Yes Yes
USB with Ethernet OTG OSC, WebAPI Only with V, not with Z1 yes
USB PTP, USB API yes Yes
USB OSC, WebAPI over USB. may not be possible even with a plug-in Unknown No
USB USB OTG using usb-serial-for-android Don’t think so Will only work for prototypes. Not for production

Hi, Craig!

I made it work. I’m using now a USB cable connected to my PC and sharing internet of my PC via that USB cable. So my plugin is using it’s network connection to stream. I had to install a plugin/apk to camera and also settings on PC to share internet. This is a reversed tethering I did. Also I noticed that because wifi isn’t used streaming performance is better and it doesn’t heat so much as before. I need to do more tests, but it’s quite stabe as is. Encoding in Z1 works much better than before. Not sure about Juliette’s question, it may not be useful for this use case. I did this because I need WiFi roaming…so that Z1 would roam seamlessly between AP’s. I setup a WifiMesh network and with wifi roaming it could cover bigger buildings. I’m planning to note all these small “projects” I’m doing and share, introduce on this forum. Including more details.

Regards,
Laszlo

2 Likes

@biviel wow. nice job with that. :slight_smile:

1. Can you keep the camera charged with the USB cable when you use your plug-in?
  2. Is the plug-in in the store? Or, are you installing it on your cameras with adb?
  3. Is this something you could help other companies, possibly for payment? Or, is it tied to your existing firm?

The use-case you’re describing could be of interest to a wider range of companies.

Congratulations on getting it to work. :tada:

@craig Thanks. Spent some time with this cam, more than I was planning.

1. yes, power didn’t go down during tests I did so far. I’m using a USB 3.0 cable, length ~5feets
  2. No, it’s not in the store. I’m installing with adb directly.
  3. Yes, I could help, possibly for payment. I built this as part of my live streaming platform I’m building, I’m the owner of company and software architect working too. :slight_smile:

Regards,
Laszlo

1 Like

Laszlo, thanks for this great information. @jcasman and I will continue this discussion by email. Just an FYI, things are going to slow down here in the US soon due to Thanksgiving for the next several days. :poultry_leg:

Hi! Sure, let’s reconnect after. Happy Thanksgiving Day!

Laszlo

1 Like