RICOH THETA X Firmware 2.50.2 With HDR Bracket API, Top/bottom correct from camera, Microphone Mute

A big firmware update is now freely available. 2.50.2 brings a host of new features including a new API for HDR bracket settings, an updated camera menu to disable Top/bottom image correction, a new API to mute the camera microphone during video shooting, and EXIF data viewing from the body of the camera.

THETA X firmware v2.50.2 (2024.04.18)

WebAPI

USB-API

Plugin

Top/bottom correction for shooting

official announcement

Noise is now reduced for videos shot in dark scenes with the following settings. Clearer images can be taken even in dark places.

-5.7K (10 fps)

-5.7K (2 fps)

・“Mute” has been added as an option for “Microphone gain” in the video shooting settings. This option can be used when you do not want to record audio during video shooting.

・“Top/bottom corr. for shooting” has been added to the still image shooting settings. The top/bottom correction can be turned off if necessary.

・The problem of increased power consumption when outputting audio from THETA has been improved.

end official announcement

auto-corrected

disable Top/bottom correction for shooting

correction not performed

exif data

HDR

Mute microphone

https://github.com/ricohapi/theta-api-specs/blob/main/theta-web-api-v2.1/options/file_format.md## new video modes

Installation with Desktop Application

download desktop app from web site

with THETA X connected with USB cable

select Firmware Update from desktop app

1 Like

HDR Bracket Test

official api

Using API Tester on Android.

body

post data

I’m using a text editor to write the JSON. I then copy and post the post data into the mobile app using Vysor.

testing

It appears to be working

Using camera.getOptions

Testing with Postman

Testing with mobile tester

setting up 5 new settings for HDR Brackets

HDR Bracket 1 - 1/0/1

Next Steps

Since the bracket settings appear to work, I’m going to finish up the 4 other bracket settings, then take a few pictures for testing.

I’ve been looking in the RICOH360 official mobile app (version 1.8.1) running on an iPhone 12 (iOS 16.1.1). I don’t see any way to set up HDR brackets in the app.

Screen Shot 2024-04-18 at 2.02.55 PM

If someone else knows how to do this, please post. But I believe that it’s been added with the newest firmware update, but is only accessible through the API.

comparing the different HDR bracket settings of the RICOH THETA X

• RICOH THETA X
  • firmware 2.50.2
  • 3 crops are from the same picture. The weights, exercise band, and fan are in the same room.
  • numbers correspond to EV compensation values. Example: HDR Bracket type 0 take 3 shots:
    • shot 1: -4ev
    • shot 2: 0ev
    • shot 3: +2ev

The shots are merged inside the camera with the new API. Takes several seconds, similar to the prior HDR.

Images shown at 50% zoom in equirectangular image viewer

Default HDR Bracket 0 -4/0/2

HDR Bracket 1 -1/0/1

HDR Bracket 2 -2/0/1

HDR Bracket 3 -3/0/3

HDR Bracket 4 -4/0/4

HDR Bracket 5 -5/0/2

1 Like