Taking HDR Images in RICOH THETA (beginner level)

I’ve been hearing more and more about HDR Rendering and the ability to take HDR images with RICOH THETA. It turns out it’s been included in the THETA app for a while.

From Dec. 17, 2015 Version 01.21

RICOH THETA S can now capture images with HDR Rendering. The function can be enabled by selecting HDR Rendering when shooting with the smartphone app in auto mode.
*Requires the latest version of the smartphone app (iOS 1.3.0 or above, Android 1.3.0 or above).
*When shooting with HDR Rendering, four images with differing exposure parameters can be shot and rendered to generate images in a broad dynamic range. Secure the camera to a tripod, etc. before using this function.

So this is an older update. I’ve just started using it myself. I’m learning more about HDR currently.

Setting your THETA to HDR is found where you normally set Shutter Speed or ISO settings. I’m adding a screenshot from the THETA app (iOS) v 1.6.0.

In my opinion, the image is clearer, and the colors seem to “pop.”

Small detail, I noticed the THETA shutter beep changes to kind of cute down and up sound. Here’s an example picture taken in Auto mode and set to HDR Rendering:

In the official Developer Forum, I have found some more detailed information from @DelosJohnson:

The results are pretty good, but keep in mind that the lens is fixed at f/2 and you cannot choose the ISO value when shooting HDR. I’ve found that on the types of sunny, high contrast days when having HDR could be handy, the camera cannot produce the underexposed images necessary for true HDR. The minimum shutter speed is 1/8000 sec. and that is easily reached with that f/2 lens when there is any “normal” amount of sunlight. It is able to bring out the shadows by overexposing, so, really, you end up with a pseudoHDR image. The result is not bad, just not what you would expect if you were shooting with a lens with adjustable f/stops.

1 Like

Do you know if this works on the THETA SC?