Theta V - Is 4K USB capture on a Mac possible?

Hi,

First of all I want to say thanks for the wealth of information available on this site. As a new Theta owner A LOT of my questions have already been answered. You guys are the best!

I’m trying to get 4K USB capture working on a Mac. In OBS, I can choose ‘3840x1920’ as a resolution; but the output is seemingly identical to choosing ‘1920x960’. If I compare the output to a video recorded on the device the difference is night and day.

I see from searching the forum that there’s a ‘UVC 4K’ driver available for Windows to enable 4K capture; but that it’s not available (needed?) for Mac.

Can anyone shed some light on if 4K capture is doable on a Mac, and what’s reasonable to expect?

Please note: I appreciate that STREAMING in 4K is a whole other matter, this question is just about capturing in 4K. :grinning:

Many, many thanks,

James

1 Like

An update…

After a bit of fiddling, I’ve discovered that changing ‘Video range’ to ‘Full’ in the capture options enables 4K capture on a Mac!

1 Like

Wow. Is it possible to post a screenshot of this setting on OBS? This is the first time I’ve heard about this solution. I’m not sure where the setting is.

Sure! Here are the settings I’m using. I can’t be sure I’m getting the full output; but the picture quality does seem to be improved with this option.

1 Like

Thanks. I haven’t been using those options. It’s good to finally learn a little about what they do. :slight_smile: Have a nice day.