HDMI Cable for Ricoh Theta S Live Streaming

Hi!
For live streaming via HDMI, can we use any HDMI to micro-HDMI cable or we need to have ‘RICOH HC-1 HDMI Cable’ neccessarily?
as mentioned in 2nd point in this user manual: https://theta360.com/en/support/manual/s/content/streaming/streaming_01.html

Please Guide…

I can confirm any HDMI to Mini HDMI will work.

Quick test from one i had in a drawer.

D

1 Like

Any HDMI mini caple will work
You have to install the Blender Driver and activate it for every THETA you use (if you have more than one)
Note: most PC laptops have only HDMI out and also MacBook PRO
i cannot use the RICOH THETA app to play the video:cry:

Does the Blender Driver work with the HDMI output? What are you using to get the HDMI from the THETA into your computer? Is it in 720p resolution?

Yes you are right Craig i am wrong sorry.
I do not have HDMI in on my laptop and got low resolution on a HD display with HDMI in.
blender works streaming trough USB
VLC

Media player clasic

1 Like

Thanks for all your work and input. I am not an experienced videographer and do not have very much equipment at my house. I really feel like I need to learn from real videographers about what is possible. I know it’s possible to get the HDMI to work as a navigable stream with expensive equipment.

We hope to see improved video streaming resolution from the THETA in the future with inexpensive equipment. Thank you.

BTW, did you make the wood for your office? It’s beautiful craftsmanship.

So it means I also don’t have HDMI in? :frowning:

There is no HDMI input to the THETA. It will output an HDMI video stream in dual-fisheye. If you want to use the HDMI output, you will need additional equipment.

Most non-professional people use the lower-resolution USB output and stream it for fun, not professional use. You can stream it to YouTube fairly easily, which can capture some of the excitement from an event. For professional use, it could be used for things like construction site evaluation or security assessment, not for entertainment purposes (unless you augment the experience with additional cameras)

Thanks, I got it.
Actually the screenshot I posted is from my laptop specifications.
I want to use live stream for professional purpose that why I need to do it from HDMI cable, and now I don’t have an HDMI input in laptop so if anybody knows how to get HDMI input in my laptop? do guide me.

Do you have HDMI input in your PC?

http://theta360.guide/showcase/ricoh-product-streambox.html

• Streamed live using Streambox Cloud Encoder
  • RICOH THETA S Camera
  • BlackMagic UltraStudio Mini Recorder
  • MacBook Pro with USB Modems
  • Streambox Cloud

I have not personally tested this:
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/ultrastudiothunderbolt

You need to grab the input stream AND then you need to convert to equirectangular (which Streambox does in the cloud)

This is usually only financially feasible if you’re going to use the Blackmagic box for other things. Most people already have one for use with more expensive rigs that are bigger than the THETA. They’re primarily using the THETA because of the small size and lower power requirements. You then need the software to convert the dual-fisheye stream into equirectangular.

Just so we’re clear, the HDMI of the THETA will output dual-fisheye. This is what dual-fisheye looks like:

If you want to display it on YouTube, it will need to be in equirectangular.

Feel free to ask more questions before you buy.

There are different “live streaming” methods and there are differences in cost and resolution.

The THETA can stream a low-res 720p over USB with free software to get it to YouTube. This will likely improve to 1080p at no additional cost within 6 months… Remember that the viewable portion of 1080p is only a fraction (like 1/3) of the entire video, meaning the resolution appears lower.

To use the HDMI output of the THETA, you will need more than just the cable.

It is possible to get an external USB capture card with HDMI-in for laptops but I haven’t tested them personally. This one appears to support most standards.
Also most Alienware laptops have an hdmi-in

thanks for sharing that. If @HassaanAhmadFarooqi gets the HDMI onto his laptop, he just needs to be aware that it will be in dual-fisheye mode. @HassaanAhmadFarooqi, this means that you’ll still need to develop or buy a solution to get it into a viewable stream for your audience with navigation. The HDMI resolution is attractive, but there’s going to be challenges. Just make sure you know the limitations of the workflow so you’re not disappointed.

Also, please report back on equipment used in a successful workflow so that other people can benefit. Thank you.

1 Like

it seems that Vahana VR is one solution to getting a stream for broadcast although it costs more than the camera.

I have not tried this:

Using HDMI Output to Stream 1080p video to YouTube
from @LeipeLeon

I’ve live streamed from the HDMI port w/ mimo live to youtube
(Theta S/360º support available since version 2.2b1). It has a 360º filter to stitch the images together into a equirectangular image
so it’s very useful for HDMI sources → better quality than USB.
There are also some other tools to place images in 3d space
https://boinx.com/connect/mimolive/versionhistory131

This from MichKa

Of course, http://shop.videostream360.com/webplayer6. Just end with an /trial and you can test. You just have to check Use Wowza and you will get back the encoder settings. After that you just check Start Wowza and you can start streaming (attention - it take several minutes to start and has a timeout if no signal will be sent), adding hotspots (from cam to cam), integrate google maps for campositions (http://vs360.to/achensee).
Important is, that the live player CDN just devalidate every 1 hour. So make your experiences with the backend-link.
I am really interested about the question, if it make sence to offer #360live streaming platform next to youtube live. Btw. we have a JW integration, a wordpress plugin, a streamchecker and many more.

With many regards
MichKa

So does this stream to youtube with interactive 360? Or is it post processed after broadcasting ends?

Assuming of course you use UVC blender to make the output from Theta equirectangular…

Streams interactively. Their cloud encoder processes the dual-fisheye stream on the fly. It’s a live stream, not a file upload. When you livestream on YouTube a file gets stored after the event.

Assuming of course you use UVC blender to make the output from Theta equirectangular…

No, it’s sending a dual-fisheye HDMI stream to the cloud. It doesn’t use UVC Blender.

I have not used it. Just to clarify, Streambox is not a RICOH product. It’s just listed on the THETA showcase. it’s not guaranteed to work with the THETA. You’ll need to contact the vendor and confirm whether or not it meets or production requirements.

Wow OK it stiches in the cloud and broadcasts to youtube in interactive 360? or it’s only interactive AFTER the stream ends and it’s processed?

Here are a iPhone picture of a THETA S connected to a full HD 1920x1200 screen with HDMI in
the screen are normally connected with DVI and a DVI -HDMI adapter to the Graphic card on a Linux machine

Anything to capture ? cannot convert it anyway
the cable are a2 meter Apple HDMI with mini adapter to the THETA S

It broadcasts as a live event in interactive 360 as the event is happening. It’s a 360 Live Event. I have not used it. I recommend asking them a lot of questions to make sure it does what it says it does. It’s a new product.