Theta V Livestream to Oculus Go

Good evening

Sorry if i’m trawling over old ground, but I am trying to link my recently purchased Theta V to my Oculus Go headset for live streaming.

I can view live feeds on my iphone via the app without any problem, I have down loaded the Live Stream plug in and that is where the problem starts I think!

I currently have a solid green wifi light on the Theta V and the video camera Live is lit blue but I cannot find Ricoh Theta showing on my Oculus Go Media section, I can only see Facebook, Instagram, Dropbox etc.

I also cannot get the feed to show on my laptop (2019 Surface Pro bought especially for the task).
I have downloaded UVC 4k and MPC HC etc as instructed on various sites.

Have I got the wifi set up wrong? I am currently logged onto the office network on the laptop, my iphone and as far as I know I’ve connected the Theta V to the same network.

I am planning to use the Theta out in the field for inspections of structures etc so live feed is the important factor, I have a Garmin Virb that I have used for the last 12 months and am impressed by, but wanted to develop the Live Feed side of things which is why I have bought the Ricoh. How would I go about setting up a connection away from routers etc, can I use my iphone or laptop as a hotspot?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I would like to think I’m not thick but this seems to be defeating me and I have an important client that I’d like to impress with this technology in a couple of days.

Thanks in advance.

Are there programs on the Oculus Go that supports a live stream in the headset?

I think the plug-in below on the THETA V can live stream into the Oculus Go, but I don’t know what software is needed on the Oculus Go side.

You can use something like a this if there is an Internet connection.

People have used WebRTC

IMO, I would try the RTSP streaming plug-in.

What latency requirement do you have? Do you need the latency under 1 second or is a 5 second delay good-enough?

Evening

Thanks for taking the time to look into this and share your knowledge.

I will have a look at the details tomorrow and give some feedback, the Oculus will link to Youtube 360 so hypothetically I think I could set up a live feed through that via the Theta and a laptop as long as the internet upload and download speeds are quick enough and thats one of the issues I’m facing due to very poor wifi in our office!

Like I said I bought the Theta because I was under the impression that it would live stream to Oculus VR, it certainly seems more developer friendly so maybe I will have to invest in a software developer to assist me and move this forward.

The YouTube option will work, but there will be a lag. If the latency is not a big problem, YouTube is your best option.

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/98ma0s/how_can_i_stream_realtime_footage_from_a_webcam/

You may want to try and approach Jake Kenin to see if he’s interested in a side job to get his application working on the Oculus Go in addition to the Rift. I think it’s totally doable. I believe his application does exactly what you want, but the camera is in a flying drone, not being carried by a human being.

Hugues also has a solution working to a browser, but it conceivable he could port it to a headset assuming you using a browser with WebVR (it’s just a normal browser).

This plug-in will stream to Oculus Go.

Good morning

Thanks for the reply, some really helpful stuff there. I have just sent Jake a message and I will update you if I get a response.

Thanks for your help.

1 Like

This old blog posts explains how to connect the THETA to your mobile phone and then broadcast it to YouTube. You can then point the Oculus Go headset at the YouTube stream.

http://theta360developers.github.io/blog/plugin/2018/08/02/wireless-streaming-tips.html

1. Turn on tethering to smartphone. (This operation is unnecessary if it is a home Wi-Fi router)
  2. When you turn on the THETA V, the green wireless LED will be blinking. Once connected to tethering (router function), it changes to solid.
  3. Press the side MODE button for 2 seconds. The LED above the shutter button turns white.
  4. Press the shutter button. The red LED will begin flashing. This will start live streaming on YouTube. That’s all it takes!

I haven’t tried the YouTube app for Oculus Go, but it would be quick to test.

Note, there is several seconds of latency, so you can’t operate a drone with this YouTube technique.