Alternative External Mic

audio

Does anyone have a solution to using a wireless lavalier mic with the Theta V? All tripod screws that I have come across block the mic port at the bottom of the Theta.

At this point, my only solution is to hacksaw off a portion of the tripod screw base to allow entry.

To another point on mics, does anyone know if other commercial mics actually work (obviously without using a tripod at this point…)

Thanks~
-Adam-

Go to a hardware store like Home Depot or Orchard Supply and Hardware (OSH) and get a common threaded rod and rod coupling that is 1/4" by 20 threads per inch (tpi)

With this adapter, you should be able to fit your microphone jack in. If this doesn’t work, please let us the problem.

Looks like a great solution. We’ll give it a shot.

(Sorry if this was already posted in the community… I didn’t find this while I was searching around.)

Thanks!

Adam, feel free to ask as many questions as you want. This is a friendly community and we’ll help you if we can.

You can adjust the length of the threaded rod to meet your specific requirements.

Some people have gone long:

or have put the THETA on top of poles

Note the jack for spatial audio

You may want to use a separate device and then mix it with the video footage or use one for the person talking and one for spatial audio.

See this article:

People have also used this:

Also, see this tweet for information on locking audio to a specific object in 360 video.

Basically, use BlueRippleSound or Facebook Spatial Workstations powered by Audio360

I noticed the Spatial Audio Jack. Is there an adapter to input mono audio such as a wireless lav mic Adam mentioned?

@LexUnity My friend says he’s used this Omnidirectional Lavalier Microphone for Mobile Devices - MVL by Shure, ($69). He emphasized that it’s not an official recommendation by RICOH. In fact, Ricoh doesn’t officially recommend using any other microphones than the TA-1. But this kind of mic works with the V, as one example.

http://www.shure.com/americas/products/microphones/motiv/mvl-omnidirectional-lavalier-microphone-for-mobile-devices#details

It’d be awesome if one could get the wiring or pin out for the TA-1 plug. The plug is a weird 5 section plug. Ground + 4 conductors- channel. Compared to how much a Sennheiser Ambeo VR Mic costs ($1,6500), it’d be awesome to use the Ricoh TA-1 for other recording purposes too or perhaps using the Sennheiser with the Theta V.

Based on his tests, I suspect that @Angelo_Farina knows the pinouts of the unusual 5 section plug.