Alternative External Mic

Does anyone have a solution to using a wireless lavalier mic with the Theta V? All tripod screws that I have come across block the mic port at the bottom of the Theta.

At this point, my only solution is to hacksaw off a portion of the tripod screw base to allow entry.

To another point on mics, does anyone know if other commercial mics actually work (obviously without using a tripod at this point…)

Thanks~
-Adam-

Go to a hardware store like Home Depot or Orchard Supply and Hardware (OSH) and get a common threaded rod and rod coupling that is 1/4" by 20 threads per inch (tpi)

With this adapter, you should be able to fit your microphone jack in. If this doesn’t work, please let us the problem.

1 Like

Looks like a great solution. We’ll give it a shot.

(Sorry if this was already posted in the community… I didn’t find this while I was searching around.)

Thanks!

1 Like

Adam, feel free to ask as many questions as you want. This is a friendly community and we’ll help you if we can.

You can adjust the length of the threaded rod to meet your specific requirements.

Some people have gone long:

or have put the THETA on top of poles

Note the jack for spatial audio

You may want to use a separate device and then mix it with the video footage or use one for the person talking and one for spatial audio.

See this article:

People have also used this:

Also, see this tweet for information on locking audio to a specific object in 360 video.

Basically, use BlueRippleSound or Facebook Spatial Workstations powered by Audio360

1 Like

I noticed the Spatial Audio Jack. Is there an adapter to input mono audio such as a wireless lav mic Adam mentioned?

1 Like

@LexUnity My friend says he’s used this Omnidirectional Lavalier Microphone for Mobile Devices - MVL by Shure, ($69). He emphasized that it’s not an official recommendation by RICOH. In fact, Ricoh doesn’t officially recommend using any other microphones than the TA-1. But this kind of mic works with the V, as one example.

It’d be awesome if one could get the wiring or pin out for the TA-1 plug. The plug is a weird 5 section plug. Ground + 4 conductors- channel. Compared to how much a Sennheiser Ambeo VR Mic costs ($1,6500), it’d be awesome to use the Ricoh TA-1 for other recording purposes too or perhaps using the Sennheiser with the Theta V.

1 Like

Based on his tests, I suspect that @Angelo_Farina knows the pinouts of the unusual 5 section plug.

@Angelo_Farina, can you share the 5 section plug pinout please? My guess is that it’s four digital mics with two data, one clock, power, and ground? If someone lends me one I’ll put my scope to it and let everyone know :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is the pinout of the 6-contacts minijack. The problem is: nowhere in the world I managed to find such 6-contacts plugs, only 5 contacts without the grounded ring. And if the ring does not make contact with the pin protruding below the Ricoh Theta V camera, the recording will NOT be spatial audio…
Ricoh-Theta-V-pinout

2 Likes

Hey all,
TL;DR: THETA V, Live Stream Plug in, want external audio, tried iRig2

I’m trying to use the official livestream plug in to stream 360° video to youtube / facebook, but I need a clean feed audio signal from the sound engineer.

I tried

• a RHODE smartLav+ which works flawlessly with my iPhone,
  • and a iRig2, which also works with my iPhone, but for neither one of them do I get the THETA V to accept it. It keeps using the built in microphones.

Any hints?

Thanks in advance.

Radikarl

Figured it out
Needs a TRRS SOCKET TO TRS PLUG adapter

Theta V accepts:
TRS yes
TRRS no

My final setup is
Mono 6.3 Jack from sound engineer
Into
iRig2 for attenuation
Into
TRRS to TRS Adapter that came with a cheap lavalier mic
Into
Theta V jack socket

→ clean audio feed :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Looks like a 5 pole connector is available from China aliexpress.

Of course, with the price of a ZOOOM H3 VR going for around $249 it might not make sense to turn the TA-1 into a Ambisonic Microphone for other uses.

1 Like