Can RICOH THETA Z1 be used in Unity as a webcam?

Interesting, the VLC on Windows 10 has the SRT in by default. On Ubuntu 22.04, it is not installed by default.

However, it’s still not clear to me how to start a player inside of Unity.

maybe a MediaPlayer.Play() with the URI would work?

From my end at the moment I think it’s good to be able to stream into VLC directly, wirelessly, as well as into OBS Studio vMix and use as camera source via WiFi. Once I have some time I may look into Unity.

Are you using this? VideoLAN / vlc-unity · GitLab

No, we are streaming the camera into the sphere in a Unity program on a computer and are streaming the sphere to the headset. So essentially the camera’s output goes to the computer and the computer streams to the MetaQuest 2 headset.

Ideally, my plan was to stream the Ricoh Theta Z1 to a virtual camera using OBS Studio which would be connected to a sphere in Unity (as @Caleb_Amadoro discussed above) wrapping the camera 360 degree view on to the sphere, and the Meta Quest 2 would connect to Unity and be able to see the entirety of the sphere which has the camera 360 degree view wrapped on its surface.

Oh, this is easier. We can just test Laszlo’s plugin with the OBS Studio going into Unity.

Laszlo, do you have settings to adjust the brightness in your plugin? The HDR may also help. @biviel can you send me the apk and recommended settings. Once we stream to OBS studio, I can test it with Unity.

Hi, I’m working with @Caleb_Amadoro and am wondering how to wirelessly connect the Ricoh Theta Z1 to the OBS Virtual Camera and if there’s any way to do so? We were successful in connecting the Ricoh Theta Z1 to OBS’s virtual camera and streaming it to Unity, but that was with connecting the Ricoh Theta Z1 to our laptop with a USB C to USB A cable when our goal is to connect it wirelessly. I have found a plug in guide for connecting the Ricoh Theta Z1 to a YouTube live stream but not OBS which is what we need to connect to so that the virtual camera can connect to Unity.

OK. this is more straightforward.

RICOH THETA Plug-in Partner Program(Partner Menu) | Ricoh

1 Like

@Caleb_Amadoro

The person below has Unity working with the Z1 using a wireless connection between Z1 and PC.

Technique is using RTSP and OBS with virtual cam.