This is the first of 11 new tutorial videos that we’ll publish every 3 to 4 days. The new tutorial series is on live streaming. If you complete the tutorial series (12 videos for non-developers or 13 if you are a developer), you will be a stream master. The last one on Unity is for developers working on telepresence projects, but the rest are designed for non-developers.
The current THETA models are the SC2 and the Z1. For the purpose of streaming, the SC2B is identical to the SC2. There is no difference. The SC2 is severely limited in how it handles streaming. The Z1 is much better, but it is more than three times as expensive. For any type of business or entertainment purposes, you will need the Z1. For a personal hobby, the SC2 can be used for surveillance or fun. You will need a Z1 to complete the tutorial series.
At first glance, the SC2’s 1024x512 @ 30fps might seem enticing. However, in actual practice, I can’t reliably achieve 30fps due to frame drops. In my tests, the SC2 has weak Wi-Fi signal strength to many computers and although I can stream the SC2 to Windows and mobile devices, I am not achieving smooth 30fps. Future videos will cover examples of using the SC2 for streaming.
There is also a lack of software for the SC2 for streaming.
Schedule of Tutorials
Schedule subject to change.
- 360 Live Streaming Overview - RICOH THETA Z1 and SC2, April 5 (published)
- RICOH THETA Live Streaming Camera Setup for 24 hour continuous operation, April 8 (published)
- 360 Video Live Streaming Driver and OBS Setup for RICOH THETA, April 12
- 360 Video Live Stream to Windows with RICOH THETA and Pot Player, April 15
- Wireless Streaming RICOH THETA to VLC, April, 19
- RICOH THETA Wireless Live Streaming to YouTube, April 22
- RICOH THETA Mobile 360 Live Streaming to YouTube, April 26 (Monday)
- RICOH THETA SC2 Live Stream to Windows 10 with Amelia Viewer Tutorial, April 29 (Thursday)
- Facebook Live Stream 360 Video from RICOH THETA, May 3, 2021 (Monday)
- RICOH THETA SC2 Streaming to Windows, May 6, 2021 (Thursday)
- RICOH THETA Z1 and V with Unity in 2021, May 11, 2021 (Tuesday)
The videos will be published on this playlist