RICOH THETA Firmware Update Information (Sept 15, 2017)

RICOH THETA says “We recommend updating to the newest firmware version that includes additional functions and product improvements.”

The newest firmware versions (as of Sept 15, 2017)

• RICOH THETA V is v1.00.2
  • RICOH THETA S is 1.90
  • RICOH THETA m15 is v1.70

*How to Update your RICOH THETA
You need to install Computer application in order to update your RICOH THETA. Please download it from the link below.
RICOH THETA for Windows(R)
RICOH THETA for Mac
For details on how to update using Computer application, see
Updating the Camera Firmware from the Computer Application” in the User Guide .

Full info here: Notification of firmware update for “RICOH THETA V”/”RICOH THETA S”/”RICOH THETA SC”/”RICOH THETA m15” camera. - トピックス(米国)

For the THETA S (the model I’m using), the only change listed in the release notes is a no further detailed “bug fix”.
So, after the update, I tested whether my “favorite” bug has been fixed. Unfortunately, this was not the case.

OK, this is getting off-topic, but IMHO that bug is really significant as it makes interval mode useless in many conditions. Before I discovered that bug, I was using interval mode as my standard mode of shooting: Just put the THETA on a small monopod and let it run in interval mode while interacting with the scene to be captured (walking in a street, visiting a building or an event, sitting with friends around a table, etc.). No need to press the camera button directly or indirectly via the app. Instead, simply select the relevant images later. But as in interval mode the stitching quality is unacceptable, I’m no longer doing it this way but via the self-timer, image by image which is annoying.

And yes, I’ve reported this bug via the official support channels (both US and German) after testing with two units, including sample images and a description of how to reproduce the problem. I never got a reply, just a notification that the case has been closed because of inactivity!

I enjoy this site and the unofficial support you guys are giving, but it can’t replace an official channel that actually works. Maybe consumer customers may accept this model, but with the V (and probably already with the S before), Ricoh is also addressing professional customers and for these the support has to be professional as well.

Sorry for the rambling.

1 Like

The THETA APP do not show 360 prewiew on 9 meters distanse with the new THETA S firmvare any longer