Ricoh Theta V wifi transmitter power strength

I would like to know how much WiFi power strength transmit from the Theta V. I am used client mode to connect the camera. The distance between camera and router may longer than 60 meters but it is line of sight. I am worry about the WiFi strength may not good enough.

I believe the signal is the maximum power rating allowed by regulations. 60 meters is a long distance. You may not get good results. Please be aware that the distance will also be negatively impacted by WiFi interference with other signals.

Can you connect the THETA V to a Raspberry Pi and then use a directional WiFi antenna connected to the Raspberry Pi?

See this thread for connecting the THETA V to a Raspberry Pi with a USB cable.

Please share more information on your application. Maybe we can contribute additional ideas.

You could also try a WiFi range extender.

If it were me, I would try to use a WiFi directional antenna attached to a Raspberry Pi.

I have not tested any of these products. I just found them on Amazon and looked at the user ratings.

https://amzn.to/2JnazZl

https://amzn.to/2xGFhLI

This USB adapter lists support for Raspbian. I have not tested it.

https://amzn.to/2xKs98i

1 Like

Search this forum for Little Black Box. The LBB uses a Raspberry Pi Zero W located near the Camera. The internal WIFI of the Pi Zero is used to talk to the Theta and a second USB WIFI is used on the Pi Zero as an access point to it. The Pi Zero can be used to control the Theta via WIFI API commands as well as a Webserver and File Server. Here is a diagram of the LBB architecture.

imagehttps://community.theta360.guide/uploads/default/original/2X/f/f28ae911a071cf5dc73f36116f54fb544e4af111.png

2 Likes

@henry, you may want to take a closer look at Little Black Box and possibly contact @Bob_White about licensing it. The setup has been tested extensively by Bob. Although I personally haven’t tested it, you can see the numerous discussions about it that it’s a solid project.

See this post by @Svendus on use at 150 meters. His test was successful.

See additional posts:

150 + 110 meter = 260 meter = 284.4 yards :grinning:

1 Like

Wow, this is great. Thanks for the clarification and for testing.

Yes @codetricity it is !
We now have several 360 cameras and no one actually get near the THETA S in reach
Wifi about 10-15 meter Bluetooth normally goes 10 meter no longer.

1 Like

@henry just so you know, the THETA V has the Snapdragon 625 chipset with the following specifications.

@Svendus, thanks for providing this great piece of information. This type of independent testing that compares different 360 cameras is really valuable, especially for specialized uses such as long-distance remote use with line-of-site WiFi. Appreciate all your work.

@codetricity For my understood the Theta V use UVC1.5 but rasp-pi or said kernal support UVC1.0 only. Is it correct? You are right may be need a WiFi repeater. That why i need confirm what is Theta V WiFi power then to choose which WiFi range extender suitable for us.

@henry For live streaming, the THETA V uses UVC 1.5.

The Linux kernel that the Raspberry Pi supports generally supports UVC 1.1. See this Wikipedia entry. Pay attention to the section that says, “H.264 and VP8 payloads are not supported yet.”. The THETA V streams with H.264. This is generally only for live streaming. I don’t think Ricoh released live streaming using WiFi direct from the camera yet. Is that what you’re trying to do?

USB video class support for Linux is provided by the Linux UVC driver, although as of July 2017 support for still-image capture is not yet implemented.[2] The UVC driver has been included in the Linux kernel source code since kernel version 2.6.26. Detection of UVC 1.5 devices was introduced in Linux kernel version 4.5,[3] but support in the driver for UVC 1.5 specific features or specific UVC 1.5 devices was not added and MPEG-2 TS, H.264 and VP8 payloads are not supported yet. The result is that some UVC 1.5 devices that also support UVC 1.1 work correctly.

Thanks for your information. I am use preview mode instead of live streaming of usb. But the fps not good enough. Resolution is ok compared with Theta S.

1 Like

Ricoh announced plans for “Wireless live streaming” soon. You may want to look at that functionality as an option for your application instead of the LivePreview mode. Hopefully, the “Wireless live streaming” will be available soon.