Wifi control distance

The wifi control distance on Theta V is horrible. I thought I would try a repeater. I bought a Mi mini wifi repeater based on good reviews by folks using it with the tiny wifi DJI Telo drone.

The Mi repeater will not connect with the V wifi. Looking at several Youtube vids, the drone guys had to change the Telo wifi SSID name, to something simple. The Mi repeater did not like the dash in the Telo name.

V has a dot in the SSID name. I am thinking that might be an issue too.

How do I change the SSID name in the ThetaV?

Or is there another solution to wifi extending control range?

I do not think you can change the SSID of the THETA V when you have it in AP mode (it works like a hotspot).

People have tried to extend the range using antennas from a fixed point to another fixed point, not from a drone.

The WLAN frequency and channel can be adjusted. You can adjust the frequency with the mobile app. 2.4GHz might give you a bit more distance.

See this:

The primary differences between the two frequencies are the range (coverage) and bandwidth (speed) that the bands provide. The 2.4 GHz band provides coverage at a longer range but transmits data at slower speeds. The 5 GHz band provides less coverage but transmits data at faster speeds.

I understand the V produces a hotspot. I am NOT trying to connect to a drone. I just want to connect a simple repeater to the V hotspot. The drone was just a reference, to what I believe the connection issues are with the Mi repeater.

I can’t believe no one has figured out extending the horrible V wifi. I thought surely someone smarter than me has tackled this already.

Have i stumped the community?

I guess I am going to have to try another type repeater?

No one has reported success with a repeater. It may not work. If it does work, please report back. People have used an antenna to increase the range. Using 2.4 GHz instead of 5 GHz should increase your range a little.

In my own experience, the range is limited. I’m using a Google Pixel 2 and I can’t get that far away from the THETA V.

A guy in a Facebook group has used a repeater on the ThetaS with sucess. He was supposed to get access to a ThetaV to test the same. If it works, I will buy that one

1 Like