Trying to use the thetaV on windows in browser (chrome) for chatting and its not working

I have a theta v and I have been using it on a Mac just fine. I just got a PC and when I try and connect the camera to the PC in LIVE mode it doesn’t work. webrtc chatting says that it can’t open the device. Is this because windows is treating it like storage and has “mounted” the device and is therefore blocking access to it as a webcam? Again all of this works just perfectly in chrome on Mac.

Install RICOH THETA UVC 4K 1.0.1

Ignore the information about Unity and grab the win64 or win32 driver at the like below.

Im trying to download the package but windows is blocking the download because its saying its found a threat.

does the package have a virus?

Yep. That package has a Trojan horse in it. What do I do?

I got it from the Ricoh site:

I think you’ll need the driver for most applications. You can try calling Ricoh customer support if you’re having problems or suspect a virus in it.

There’s a long discussion thread here about people needing to use the driver.

Ok. I finally got confirmation that the virus detection was a false positive. This is directly from the windows defender team.

So I installed the UVC driver and the camera now works with OBS on windows but it still produces the error “notreadableerror” in the webrtc samples including the basic getusermedia test.

How would you troubleshoot this?

If it were me, I would look at a solution that was already working. For example, the WebRTC SFU API at the link below:

People were also using OpenTok with the THETA S. That might be a good starting point to get something working.

You can also look at this code for the THETA S, which has something working with navigator.getUserMedia()

Thanks. I didn’t know about the integration with OpenTok but I already have everything working that I need. The problem is that its only working on Mac. And for a variety of reasons Mac is not the best platform to be using in the field. So im trying to get it working on Windows and this is where the problem lies.

After a bunch of digging I think I might have found the root cause (device sequencing - a non functioning version of the camera is listed first) but I have to figure out how to change the sequencing and test it.

I looked at the Ricoh cloud a while ago and opted against it but I
ll take a look at it again and see if it can apply any lessons relative to finding devices.

The camera has two streaming modes which use different drivers. Also note that the driver is a “hack” and does not implement a full virtual driver. The DevicePath is not an actual DevicePath. The value does not actually correspond to the DevicePath. I’m not sure what the implications of this are.

If you get something working with webRTC, it would be great if you could share it with the community. Several other people have expressed an interest in this.


The below post might be relevant. Although it’s for the THETA S, the THETA V also uses two streaming drivers.

When you read through the Unity thread, you’ll notice that there’s multiple “virtual drivers” created.


I was able to get it working. At least in the context of Tokbox though we’re going to be trying another framework.

Couple things

  1. Audio from the camera does not work at all. So getUserMedia will consistently fail as long as audio is also being requested.
  2. It is critical that the device selection (in chrome settings) for the camera be set to the “…Full HD” or “4K”. If you set it to the one with the VID/PID it will fail. The microphone must also be set to a working mic (i.e from a headset or whatever). If you don’t do this, while device selection may work, failures will occur when you attempt to start.
1 Like