Wireless Live Streaming Plug-in Audio Problems

I’m not that familiar with the official mobile app from RICOH. There’s a lot of settings in there that I can’t find.

If the OBS separate channel doesn’t work for your workflow, we can try and look for a developer testing tool.

Are you running Windows 10 or Android?

If not, then we can likely add it to the command line tester for MacOS. There’s more security configuration needed for the MacOS, so it makes it a little more difficult to produce GUI desktop apps for MacOS. Though, it’s possible.

I am currently streaming directly from the theta — via the wifi and live stream plugin – I would prefer to avoid needing to use a laptop to accomplish the stream… :smiley:

I don’t think you can use an external microphone with the Wireless Live Streaming Plug-in. You may be able to use @biviel plug-in from FlowTours. I have not tested it.

I also have not tested the Wireless Live Streaming Plug-in on the V with an external audio source plugged into the input on the camera body. So, it MAY work.

If I have time to test it today, I’ll post results. I think I need to write a small utility to set the V to the external microphone source.

I appreciate any insight you can provide.

Right not my stream sounds incredibly awful - and not sure why – but if we can plug the audio directly into the V. that would be great.

I also love how easy it is right now - - I literally just need to create the live stream on youtube — then when I start the plugin via the app – and hit stream - it’s just working — it’s mindless. Just the audio is unlistenable.

hi! @craig no, sorry, I didn’t work on any external microphone.

@iamralphsutton , I can confirm that there are some issues with audio during live streaming directly from Z1 wirelessly. In Facebook all sounds good. The plug-in I created also has audio issues at youtube, it seems it may be related to how youtube transcodes/optimizes incoming streams to minimize bandwidth. I hope my plug-in will become availalbe soon. It’s name will be “HDR Wireless Live streaming” and yes, it will be able to live stream in high quality too.

Regards,
Laszlo

How do you live stream wirelessly to Facebook?

When I was using the Stream Key, I could not go live.

It’s greyed out on my system.

Though, this could be because I have low upstream bandwidth.

If you use “Stream Key” on Facebook, does the “Go Live” button appear with your plug-in?

hi @craig , yes, it works via my plug-in. I will try to do and share a test, however I’m on an Island called Hvar in Croatia. Mobile network may be a bit limited, not sure how long will it maintain upload bandwidth here. And surrounded with mountains and sea. Will test again, also I was planning to record the process and share on my website. Will come back to you if It works here.

1 Like

The island of Hvar in Croatia may have better Internet than the typical resident in Palo Alto. Infrastructure here for typical people is not so good for both mobile and fiber, which is largely not available for the average person. sadly.

Hi @craig , I did a live stream, it should work for you. Redirecting...

I checked network coverage and in this small bay it’s not very reliable, so I had to put my mobile device to a tree to make sure bandwidth will not drop. This was done with in camera stitching, no HDR mode. Quality should be better by 20% if my own platform and dual fish-eye format is used.

Regards,
Laszlo

@craig I had to live stream again, Facebook issues… :slight_smile:

https://www.facebook.com/laszlo.b.varga/videos/4110227342359847/

Laszlo

1 Like

I can see it now!

I want to move to Croatia!

Audio is fine, but a little soft. It sounds fine if I increase the volume.

I would too if it would be 4k, but it’s not for some reason. I’m not sure what was worng, while streaming to it was 4k, after it was downsized. Well its not a dedicated to 360 service for sure… :frowning: I meant FB.

I would absolutely LOVE to get this working again. PS - I was in Hvar a few years ago and absolutely LOVED it.

It’s possible that YouTube changed the network optimization behavior which affects the audio from the plug-in. Interesting opportunity for @biviel with his Flow Tour plug-in as it’s possible that he may be able to get it to work eventually. His plug-in is under active development.

I merged the two topics on this problem into a single topic to make it easier to find tests and potential workarounds.

Status as of June 18:

Three people have verified audio problem on YouTube
One person has verified audio working on Facebook
No known workaround on YouTube

I will do another live stream to Facebook tomorrow morning (Hvar time = Central European), I think I found the reason why it wasn’t as I expected in 4K quality. Will also do and record from same position another video toward my own platform, which will record in original quality as encoded by cam itself.

@iamralphsutton , you may have to use Facebook or my platform, instead of YouTube, or a third one or wait for some time to figure out what is wrong with YouTube audio/Theta encoding.

I’m not sure how will Theta V perform with my plugin, but would like to see for sure.

I didn’t use to sleep so well during summer vacations at the Mediterranean sea like here at this bay, on Hvar. And just to know Solar panels are really working fine in the house! BUT I have my own mobile solar panels too as a backup. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @craig , @iamralphsutton the live stream to Facebook seems working fine in 4K resolution. In case someone is viewing after the live stream, the resolution will be downgraded to 2K for these “saved” live streams seems. I scheduled a live stream event for tomorrow, in case you would like to watch or able to join at the time given: New Theta Plug-in for Live Streaming | Facebook

Thanks,
Laszlo

1 Like

That looks fantastic. The audio is clear, though a little soft.

The link below indicates that some people adjusted the audio using 48KHz and resolved the problem with a non-360 stream on YouTube. I suspect the solution may be found by research general YouTube audio streaming problems and then modifying the source code of the plug-in.

It may be possible to make small changes to the source code and recompile.

theta-wireless-live-streaming-plugin/RtmpExtendBase.java at 4b53904824b32528887b3f863e0ec0eecf3fc761 · ricohapi/theta-wireless-live-streaming-plugin · GitHub

public boolean prepareAudio() {
        microphoneManager.createMicrophone(44100, false, false, true);
        // If the argument is omitted, 128 * 1024, 44100, true, false, false
        return this.audioEncoder.prepareAudioEncoder(128 * 1024, 44100, false);
    }

If we search more on general “audio problems streaming on YouTube,” we may be able to form a theory as to why the audio problem is occurring with the plug-in. If we can isolate the problem, you could roll the solution into the Flow Tours plug-in and have a unique working solution.

1 Like

@craig thanks! I tried in past to adjust this code and to set 48KHz, but without success. I was able to debug that it’s related to the encoding library itself (pedro), how timing of audio frames happens there. It’s on my radar to check further, but spending weeks of effort is too much and as I see it could take 2-3 weeks to debug and solve.

I did another stream today, but toward my own platform in HDR dual fisheye format, highest quality settings, which by the way produces more heating.

https://www.flow.tours/en/product/68

1 Like

Quite a long thread on the rtmp-rtsp-stream-client-java about an audio problem while streaming. The bug is still open. :frowning: :spider:

There may be a workaround.