Dual-fisheye Images With THETA V Plug-in

1. 104 Photspheres shot 40 to 60 km p/h
2. no frequency shot with a Bluetooth shutter the camera are set to pick the GPS meta 1 Sec
3: no Stabilization some images one or two was off role but it is easy to open the saved PTGui project file again and fix it
the Tour are Created in Pano2VR it has acturally auto leveling
So untill PTGui add TETA V images to the lens Libery you can Stritch the image in this way

1 Like

Thanks for all the great information. It looks pretty difficult for me to stitch the images. I will need to study your video more.

thank you.

Testing Ichi’s mobile app.

Original

Equirectangular

Using THETA Desktop Viewer

One Time Callibration

Selected Points

2 Likes

Wow, that is some very good looking stitching. I don’t see the line!

1 Like

Yeah, it looks good in the THETA Desktop app too. Configuration is easy. If people are part of the partner program and can put the THETA V into developer mode, I think they can use both the plug-in, which is open source and the stitching app, which is a trial version. How is the community user guide coming along for the plug-in?

I have a trial version of the stitching app from Ichi for the dual-fisheye plug-in for the RICOH THETA V. It will time out at the end of July. If anyone wants a copy of it, please post here and I will send you a copy. It only works on Android mobile phones. There is no iOS version.

Remember that to install the dual-fisheye plug-in right now, you need to join the partner program to put your camera into developer mode. According to people that joined recently, I believe there is no charge to join the partner program. The dual-fisheye plug-in is available for free on this this guide, both as a pre-compiled apk and as source files.

I received a note from the team at PTGui.

I wasn’t able to get a real good result, attached is a PTGui Project file. I’m not sure if it’s parallax or something else. Do you have any images taken outside? This would eliminate most of the parallax.

And I thought the Theta would only output equirectangular images; how did you get the dual fisheye images?
Also EXIF data is missing, was this stripped while uploading to the forum? If you have one with EXIF data I can add automatic recognition to PTGui.

Here is the PTGui project file that was sent to me.

20180608103246 Panorama.pts (41.9 KB)

1 Like

Hi, @codetricity I succeeded in installing Dual-fisheye Images into my THETA V. I’ve tested it on my desk, because today it is raining heavily here.

pluginapp

It’s not possible to use THETA app for the remote shutter during the plugin mode. Am I right?

1 Like

@Juantonto thanks for this report back. Good job.

By remote shutter, do you mean the special USB cable attachment that Ricoh sells? Or, do you have a Bluetooth clicker?

The plug-in stops access to the main camera application (the default one from Ricoh) during the time the plug-in is in use. While the plug-in is running, you can’t use the main camera function. However, the plug-in developer should be able to trigger the picture taking from an external input.

This could be a good feature request for a developer.

2 Likes

@codetricity thanks, RICOH cable switch CA-3 is available for the plug-in mode?
BTW, I want to connect THETA V over wifi and BT to use the preview and settings, while the plug-in is running.

Hi, @codetricity
Today, I tested Dual-fisheye plug-in again outside. In my test, some of images were generated as equirectangular. It may not work well while plugin is running in HDR mode.

IMG_4293
[Caption; Plug-in is running in HDR mode now.]

I’ll show you the stitched file with PTGui later. It is great.

Thanks,
Toyo

1 Like

Thanks for your help. We’ll share this with the developer.

It would be great to see your stitching technique with PTGui.

I just sent you the download link for the Android-based stitching application from Ichi Hirota. Feel free to try it out if you find it fun or interesting. The trial application will expire at the end of July.

Thanks for your help testing this pre-release apps and sharing your test results with the community.

1 Like

I do not believe that the CA-3 will work in plug-in mode. I have not tested it, but I don’t think you should buy it until you verify with someone that it works with the plug-in.

Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connectivity are available to the plug-in while it is running. However, there is no application out right now to trigger the picture. The Wi-Fi trigger would be easy to implement, but it’s not implemented right now.

This is a good feature request.

Thanks.

1 Like

Hi, @codetricity
I reproduced the issue on the bracketing mode. When I press the “Start plug-in” button on THETA app, the plug-in mode generates one Dual-Fisheye image and two equirectangular images.

Holding Mode button 2s method is normal. I’ve confirmed it on my THETA V.

@Juantonto, thanks for this great information. I’ve sent it to the developer. Unfortunately, he’s in the process of moving back to Tokyo and won’t be able to fix the issues for a few weeks. His development workstations are still in storage. He’s eager to work on these problems, but he needs to get his development equipment set up again.

Stitching Test with PTGui

Original

Stitched

demo version has watermarks

Using THETA Desktop App

Need to optimize more. See monitor

Here’s the image and project files, both original and stitched.

Hi, @codetricity, @jcasman, @Svendus
This is the result of stitching Dual-Fisheye images of THETA V(2 shots,90 degrees apart by bracketing mode)

1.Dual-Fisheye images stitched by PTGui Ver.11.5

You can also see the image on Google Maps.Here.

2.Norma HDR Ev+1 shooting(Same position)

3.Screenshot of PTGui
ptgui_test03_01

As I am not an expert of PTGui, I asked Office BlueSkys to assist me. That’s why I could successfully stitch them. Now I can do the same, too. However, this result is not “Very Good”. We need correct lens information to get much better result. Your advice would be highly appreciated.

Regards,
Toyo

1 Like

You should make Your own template after that you can Batch Stitch hundreds off images on a go

i still wonder why a raw and bracketing mood are not standard on a Ricoh Theta V

regards Svendus

1 Like

I am new to the Ricoh Theta V and really want to use the fisheye images. In trying to get this set up I upgraded to Firmware 2.31.1 from 1.x(i dont remember exactly what it was). I followed the instructions from http://theta360.guide/plugin-guide/fisheye/, but whenever I hold the “Mode” button down the plugin doesn’t launch. Instead the Remote Playback app opens instead. I can not seem to disable this feature. I did find one dual-fisheye image in the image storage, but that is it. Any suggestions? Is there an older firmware I can revert to?

I can confirm that the dualfisheye_plugin.apk is installed on the camera, and I did change all its permissions.

With the desktop app (mobile app will also work), go to Plug-in management…

I believe that the name of the dual-fisheye app will be “plugin application” It’s two apps above the Wireless Live Streaming plug-in in the picture below.

the mobile app has a similar feature:

If you’re still having problems, please share a screenshot of your list of apps with the “Plugin Application” selected.

Also, @jcasman spoke to the developer today and he’s going to update the application to make it easier to install. He was in the process of moving his house, which delayed getting his plug-in into the THETA Store.