How To: Edit and Stitch RAW DNG Images From RICOH THETA Z1 with Adobe Lightroom Classic CC and THETA Stitcher

Lightroom Classic version: 9.0 [ 201910151439-b660523e ]
License: Creative Cloud
Language setting: en
Operating system: Windows 10 - Business Edition
Version: 10.0.18362
Application architecture: x64
System architecture: x64
Logical processor count: 16
Processor speed: 3.6 GHz
Built-in memory: 16039.5 MB
Real memory available to Lightroom: 16039.5 MB
Real memory used by Lightroom: 2619.3 MB (16.3%)
Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 2707.1 MB
GDI objects count: 851
USER objects count: 2786
Process handles count: 1791
Memory cache size: 1253.6MB
Internal Camera Raw version: 12.0 [ 321 ]
Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 5
Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2,AVX,AVX2
Camera Raw virtual memory: 1141MB / 8019MB (14%)
Camera Raw real memory: 1383MB / 16039MB (8%)
System DPI setting: 120 DPI
Desktop composition enabled: Yes
Displays: 1) 2560x1440
Input types: Multitouch: No, Integrated touch: No, Integrated pen: No, External touch: No, External pen: No, Keyboard: No

Graphics Processor Info:
DirectX: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630 (26.20.100.7262)

I turned off my graphics card and tried again, and it worked fine.
I am suspicious of compatibility with AMD 5700XT and stitching programs.

2 Likes

When I reloaded and tried the graphics card, the same bug appeared again.

3 Likes

Good detective work!
:+1:

1 Like

On December 19, Ricoh has provided a new version 1.10.0 of the stitcher with the following changes:

• DNG files can now be processed in RICOH THETA Stitcher even if the file name is changed. It is also now possible to change the name of the file to export to any user-set character string and save the file.
  • Bug fix

https://support.theta360.com/en/download/lrstitch/

1 Like

Hello CorLeone,

I have created and HDR image in Photoshop RAW, imported it into Lightroom and exported it as per instructions in Theta Stitcher manual.

I am still getting the ‘No compatible DNG files’ warning come up.

I am using the current versions of all three programs/plug-ins.

I have tried renaming, using filename sequence, but nothing I have tried so far works.

Am I missing something (hopefully!)?

Thanks,

Michael

Did you check this discussion?

I just bought a Z1 and trying to stitch both in lightroom and PS. Neither worked. I am getting a crazy screen preview. Can someone help. I have tried everything for the past two hours.

1 Like

See this thread:

2 Likes

Hi, there. Inside the Ikoma Cable car, established in 1918. the oldest Cable Line in Japan. It’s called ブル号(buru).

Two different exposure merged in Adobe Lightroom.
Stitched by THETA Stitcher 1.10 version.
f/2.1 ISO80 1/50
f/3.5 ISO80 1/80
I used ISO80 priority mode Ev0 and Ev-1

How do you think? No more overexposure.
Thanks,

Toyo

PS. Removed GMaps URL due to the malfunction of GSV.

1 Like

fantastic work. super sharp image. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve read these posts/questions and I’m still having a problem with stitching my photos. When I select edit in Ricoh Theta Stitcher the first photo pops up. I’m at a total loss as to why this is happening. I’ve watched videos from Ricoh and talk to them. I’ve also been on the phone with Mac and Adobe (who will be calling me back today because they couldn’t figure out the problem last night) I’ve uninstalled and reinstalled. I tried the merge in HDR of 3 photos and then edit in RS and it didn’t work. Any help or ideas are absolutely welcome.

1 Like

I’m not an expert and have only done light testing on the software. However, I would try to set the filename to “Sequence” and make sure you are exporting to the same folder as the original photo. Also, the original filename needs to be in a specific format.

Just to confirm, you’re merging three DNG files, right? I’m not experienced with this process, but I would try to make the original (dual-fisheye) DNG filename look like the filename from the THETA Z1.

I’ll need to merge photos when I start the editing process. I read on this feed someone merging then stitching thinking that may help and it didn’t. The same format is throwing me off. Meaning it needs to be in DNG or JPEG? I’ll change the other setting and see if that helps.

Try to change the name of the file.

I believe the stitcher can only accept a DNG. I think it looks for a specific format of the filename (or it used to).

There’s other people on this forum with way more experience than me. I think you’ll get a proper answer eventually.

This is amazingly frustrating. I did EXACTLY what was suggested above - any many time with the same result:
" A DNG file is required for the [Export Location] of the JPEG/TIFF file. Refer to [Help] and check that the settings for [Export Location] or [File Naming] are correct."

Dear God please help as I’m dead in the water

Perhaps a cause of the confusion is that there are actually two different approaches to call the stitcher from Lightroom:

1. via ‘Edit In’
  2. via ‘Export’

For both approaches, the actual handover from Lightroom to the stitcher and back is the same:

1. From the original DNG file, Lightroom creates a working copy. This can be in any format supported by the stitcher but I would recommend 16bit TIFF for best quality.
  2. The stitcher is started by Lightroom and the working copy is handed over.
  3. The stitcher works on this copy but additionally reads the original DNG file for meta data. This is why the naming of the working copy must allow the stitcher to find the corresponding original DNG file!
  4. After stitching, the stitcher writes the result back to the working copy and terminates.
  5. Lightroom re-reads the working copy which now is actually the result file.

Caveat: This description is just my guessing as I haven’t found any clear documentation by Ricoh on this.

1 Like

Without more details on what you actually did, we won’t be able to help you (maybe God can).
Please provide a step-by-step description with screenshots.

Meaning I followed the suggested steps from above only to get that error message - I also watched this video (which was well done) and had the same results :frowning: https://youtu.be/Vjb0mUnPzNk

btw - I appreciate your comment way about on how to deal with noise - I’ll give it a try today as I have a few images displaying nose is darker areas. The Z1 is a new adventure for me. Thanks

@CorLeone, this is a great description. I think this is what is happening.

Lightroom is likely creating a working copy of the DNG file. If the working copy does not follow the same convention as the original DNG, the conversion will not work. (I think).

For the benefit of others, I’m reposting the No compatibile DNG files error message thread that we posted earlier.

Note that the example uses Export One File from the Lightroom menu.

Problem: No compatible DNG files

Solution: Check filename and directory

The filename and the directory of the output of Lightroom Classic CC must match the original DNG file location and name.

Example

More working examples

Example from Steve Swayne on Facebook.

If the DNG is this type of filename:

R0010754.DNG

Then some example of OK output filenames:

R0010754-001.DNG

R0010754-merged20200128.DNG

This file naming issue is another good reason to use the ‘Edit in’ way instead of ‘Export’ because you don’t have to think about selecting the right preset each time. :wink:

Also note that in version 1.10.0 of the stitcher the name handling was changed (although it’s not clear to me what is now working and what still not):

2 Likes