How To Use RICOH THETA With Bluetooth Clickers

New video shows how to set up a RICOH THETA Z1 a JOBY Impulse Bluetooth clicker.

Current firmware for the Z1, V, SC2, and SC2B have the plug-in in the firmware.

For SC2 and SC2B, press and hold the timer button to pair the clicker.

remote_blink

Press and hold again to turn off.

Press and HOLD the JOBY clicker to start the pairing.

JOBY

Once paired, the bluetooth icon on the camera will be solid and will not blink.

For the Z1 and V, you should watch the short video above. The process is the same, but use the mode button instead and select the remote plug-in.

I need to reset my internal compass. This video covers that step.

update: 11/5

People have confirmed it works with the Dual-Fisheye Plug-in. Original question on Facebook. Link to video by @YuqingGuo

Remote Control TR-1

Official RICOH Bluetooth remote control

https://us.ricoh-imaging.com/product/tr-1-remote-control/

2 Likes

Just to be clear, it is possible to use any other cheap BT remote with Theta Z1 camera, like the one used by Yuqing Guo in his video, not only Joby or TR-1. The important thing is to make the pairing correctly.

yes, you can use other BT remotes. However, we do not know which ones work. If there is a video of Yuqing Guo using the remote, it likely will work for you too.

The only ones on the RICOH officially support list were the Joby or the TR-1, but other (not all) clickers appear to work. The best solution is to find clickers that other people have tested and then buy the same one.

I have a clicker that came with my selfie stick that doesn’t pair. However, I also have another one that does work.

1 Like

Thanks Craig, Here for example these are perfectly compatible with Z1. Price as you see, just 3.00 Euro

2 Likes

I tried the Joby Impulse with my Z1 and the REMOTE plug-in and yes, it does work.

My question is do I have to pair it every time I want to use the clicker?

After I paired it, I did a power cycle and it was not persistent across a reboot and I had to pair again.

I think it saves the bluetooth pairing inside the camera, similar to how a mobile phone saves bluetooth headphones.

I was kind of hoping that was the case but so far whenever I select REMOTE again on the Z1 I have to re-pair the JOBY. I will try a few more times but I think once I exit the remote APP, I have to pair again.

I don’t recall having to pair the remote again. I have the Z1 and the Joby remote in a different office. I’ll try it again when I get back into the office.

I stand corrected, tried it again and yes, the bluetooth pairing is persistent.

1 Like

Thanks for reporting back on your success. It’ll help other people