HowTo: Use THETA Motion Sensors

I recently read an article by @yokazuya on using the THETA motion sensors to take a picture.

He used the Android Sensor class.

I went through his article and was able to successfully get data from the THETA internal accelerometer. I’m displaying the data to both logcat and using it to trigger the shutter of the THETA. The working repo I used for my test is below. Make sure you set the plug-in permission after installing it. I’m using a mock location.

If you want to test it out first, the apk is below.

Release THETA Motion Sensor Demo · theta360developers/theta-motion-sensor · GitHub

Kaz’s article was impressive as he is filtering out gravity in addition to simply grabbing the sensor values.

gravity

I’ve translated the relevant portions of Kaz’s article below.

Import the following classes.

import android.hardware.Sensor;
import android.hardware.SensorEvent;
import android.hardware.SensorEventListener;
import android.hardware.SensorManager;

Your application can access THETA motion from the internal accelerometer with the following:

• implement SensorEventListener interface
  • set up and cancel event listeners
  • acquire SensorManager
  • control acceleration at onResume event

Specify the sensor when registering the event listener. For acceleration, use Sensor.TYPE_ACCELEROMETER. For the gyroscope, use Sensor.TYPE_GYROSCOPE

The code below filters out gravity and noise.

AccelerationGraSensor.java

package com.theta360.pluginapplication.AccelerationSensor;

import android.hardware.Sensor;
import android.hardware.SensorEvent;
import android.hardware.SensorEventListener;
import android.hardware.SensorManager;

import java.util.List;

public class AccelerationGraSensor implements SensorEventListener {

private static final float FILTER = 0.1f; // filter coefficient

private float[] currentGravityValues      = {0.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f};
    private float[] currentAccelerationValues = {0.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f};

public synchronized float getX() {
        return this.currentAccelerationValues[0];
    }

public synchronized float getY() {
        return this.currentAccelerationValues[1];
    }

public synchronized float getZ() {
        return this.currentAccelerationValues[2];
    }

public AccelerationGraSensor(SensorManager sensorManager) {
        // register event listener
        Sensor s = sensorManager.getDefaultSensor(Sensor.TYPE_ACCELEROMETER);
        sensorManager.registerListener(this, s, SensorManager.SENSOR_DELAY_UI);
    }

@Override
    public void onSensorChanged(SensorEvent event) {
        if (event.sensor.getType() == Sensor.TYPE_ACCELEROMETER) {
            // extract gravity values in the low-pass filter
            currentGravityValues[0] = event.values[0] * FILTER + currentGravityValues[0] * (1.0f - FILTER);
            currentGravityValues[1] = event.values[1] * FILTER + currentGravityValues[1] * (1.0f - FILTER);
            currentGravityValues[2] = event.values[2] * FILTER + currentGravityValues[2] * (1.0f - FILTER);

synchronized (this) {
                // remove gravity
                currentAccelerationValues[0] = event.values[0] - currentGravityValues[0];
                currentAccelerationValues[1] = event.values[1] - currentGravityValues[1];
                currentAccelerationValues[2] = event.values[2] - currentGravityValues[2];
            }
        }
    }

@Override
    public void onAccuracyChanged(Sensor sensor, int accuracy) {

}
}

Instead of implementing MainActivity as a class, we’re using SensorEventListener to control acceleration.

In lines 15 to 25, getters are defined to allow the acceleration to be accessed from other classes.

Event listener is registered from line 27. You need to define the which sensor to use. I’m using Sensor.TYPE_ACCELEROMETER for acceleration.

When the value of the sensor changes, onSensorChanged is called in line 37. The gravity is extracted with a low pass filter.

In line 52, onAccuracyChanged indicates that the accuracy of the sensor changed.

Testing Acceleration

Use Android Studio’s debugging features to check acceleration value by using Log.D.

MainActivity.java

private SensorManager graSensorManager;
private AccelerationGraSensor accelerationGraSensor;

private static final int ACCELERATION_INTERVAL_PERIOD = 1000;
private Timer timer;

@Override
protected void onCreate(Bundle savedInstanceState) {
    super.onCreate(savedInstanceState);
    setContentView(R.layout.activity_main);

// Set state to take acceleration
    graSensorManager = (SensorManager)getSystemService(SENSOR_SERVICE);
    accelerationGraSensor = new AccelerationGraSensor(graSensorManager);
}

@Override
protected void onResume() {
    super.onResume();
    timer = new Timer();
    timer.schedule(new TimerTask() {
        @Override
        public void run() {
            // output log, acceleration
            Log.d("accelerX", String.valueOf(accelerationGraSensor.getX()));
            Log.d("accelerY", String.valueOf(accelerationGraSensor.getY()));
            Log.d("accelerZ", String.valueOf(accelerationGraSensor.getZ()));
        }
    }, 0, ACCELERATION_INTERVAL_PERIOD);
}

@Override
protected void onPause() {
    super.onPause();
    timer.cancel();
}

Define SensorManager in the onCreate method. Define a new onResume method and use the timer to output the acceleration to the log. You can define the interval to acquire acceleration in ACCELERATION_INTERVAL_PERIOD. In this example, we are getting acceleration every 1000 milliseconds.

Run app in Android Studio.

With the THETA plugged in, you should see it when you hit the play icon.

Use Logcat

Sensor values are updated at 1000 millisecond intervals.

Shake THETA to Take Picture

motion-sensor-shake
Kaz shaking THETA

Change code to take a picture. In the run() method check to see if an acceleration threshold is passed and then take picture.

Make sure to add onDestroy() to unregister the listener.

MainActivity.java changes

private static final float ACCELERATION_THRESHOLD = 3.0f;

@Override
protected void onResume() {
    super.onResume();
    timer = new Timer();
    timer.schedule(new TimerTask() {
        @Override
        public void run() {
            // shoot picture if acceleration threshold is exceeded
            if (Math.abs(accelerationGraSensor.getX()) > ACCELERATION_THRESHOLD ||
                Math.abs(accelerationGraSensor.getY()) > ACCELERATION_THRESHOLD ||
                Math.abs(accelerationGraSensor.getZ()) > ACCELERATION_THRESHOLD) {
                    new TakePictureTask(mTakePictureTaskCallback).execute();
            }
        }
    }, 0, ACCELERATION_INTERVAL_PERIOD);
}

@Override
protected void onPause() {
    super.onPause();
    timer.cancel();
}

@Override
protected void onDestroy() {
    super.onDestroy();
    if (graSensorManager != null) {
        // release event listener
        graSensorManager.unregisterListener(accelerationGraSensor);
    }
}

Summary

The developer, Kaz, emphasized that this is greatly simplified sample code with inaccurate sensor detection. Although it is easy to grab the sensor data from the accelerometer, it is tricky to get accurate acceleration and angular velocity. The sample code works for the purpose of starting you on the path to using the accelerometer, but you should build your own algorithm for production use.

1 Like

This is a concept to use the accelerometer to trigger a picture on a 360 dash cam. The THETA can be powered from USB from the vehicle.

I have a branch that can output the Azimuth, Pitch Roll of the camera.

GitHub - theta360developers/theta-motion-sensor at orientation

I’m using SensorManager.getOrientation

I would like to verify if I can use the Pitch and Roll as the position of the camera for the metadata. I’m concerned that my calculations may not be correct. A second concern is that the magnetic field sensor may not be calibrated properly.

@jcasman and I met yesterday and tested two different versions of this plug-in.

Accelerometer

• triggers for acceleration on individual x, y, z axis. You can now trigger a picture along one axis only
  • adjusted interval and sensitivity to make it more suitable to car dash cam under different driving conditions

Orientation

• similar to changes for accelerometer, but with orientation triggers for pitch, roll, azimuth

Interested in Meeting in Palo Alto to Build this Plug-in?

As it’s fun to adjust the settings, we are thinking of opening our “Plug-in Build” meeting to other people if there is interest. Jesse and I will meet on Thursday, March 14, in Palo Alto, California. You can use our laptops and cameras to do the build and modification. Our laptops have all the Android Studio, SDK, and libraries you need to work on the plug-ins.

You can also show up with your own laptop and we can help you with any build problems. There’s a list of 25 plug-ins with source code at the link below.

https://plugin-dev-quickstart.readthedocs.io/en/latest/index.html

Testing

hey @craig is there a way to get acceleration data without android studio?

Other than the plug-in, there is no published way to get the sensor data.

There is no WebAPI to expose or save the sensor data to file.

As the RICOH THETA official desktop app performs top/bottom correction on the video files, we can assume that the gyroscope data is stored in the video file somewhere. However, we have not been able to extract it or even find it in the video file saved in the default video capture process with the RICOH THETA.

If you write a plug-in, you can run the plug-in inside the camera and have it run an HTTP server to act as an API end-point for your mobile app.

1 Like

@craig

on your github page about this project it says

• install the plugin with adb adb install plugin-name.apk
  • set permissions with Vysor

Is there somewhere mentioned how to do these two steps? I already have developer mode enabled but cant figure out these two steps so i can view values in Logcat. Thanks in Advance

The V and Z1 run Android inside the camera. Look for standard Android developer guides.

Additional plugin info is here

https://api.ricoh/docs/theta-plugin/

1 Like

hi @craig

I installed the apk in my device theta z1 using adb. It sows app as motion sensor and also activated it from theta Z1. after running from android studio it shows this

but the logcat is empty.

Is there a step i may be missing?

Update: Ricoh theta is taking photos when i shake the camera atleast that is working perfectly. I need to know how i can get logcat working

Did you try this technique?

adb shell setprop persist.log.tag 0

Much poorer quality while using the Wireless Live Streaming plugin? - #20 by biviel