NDI plugin experiments ?

The latest plugin version that supports SRT isn’t public yet, I’m building lot of functionalities into it with SRT support too, but I realized that “adaptive bitrate” functionality isn’t as good as I would expect, so building a custom solution, optimizing for cellular network too. So you may need to wait a little to be able to test SRT. I’m planning to release most of the functionalities I have on my radar together in next upgrade. Actual plugin version can stream RTMP and RTSP.

thanks, @craig! We tested California/Frankfurt total road trip time end to end was around 1.4 seconds, when you were watching your own stream there, right? In local network I didn’t measure but when I was watching the stream in OBS, it was below 1 second with SRT. platform itself isn’t yet public, I was pulled in to another project and also will leave for a vacation soon.

I’ve been looking for the article about the SRT test. Maybe I put it into the long thread about the HDR Wireless Live Streaming plug-in. I couldn’t recall the exact latency.

Hope you have a nice vacation!

1 Like

thanks, Craig! If I understand correctly for @Remi_Jarasson , the “local” latency is important, so that he could easily “direct” local 360 view and stream that further. What we tested with you was a total end to end latency between viewer and streamer across the globe.

Aren’t all techniques going to result in a local latency of approximately 300ms to 400ms in the best case scenario?

The camera is processing the stream into equirectangular which is taking up most of that time. If you stream from the camera in dual-fisheye to eliminate the time in stitching, you would still need to stitch it at some point in the workflow.

Can you get below 300ms with your plug-in if you stream in dual-fisheye?

Hello @biviel

I received my Theta Z1 and did some tests with it.
I am disappointed by the fact that i cannot charge the Z1 while using ethernet, but i did test it with a direct USB cable to a macbook pro.

So i have a first working solution of my setup (minus the 5 meters cable that is still being delivered), with the Z1 connected to a OBS Browser Source (yeah, kinda mindblowing) which is a Three.JS page for reframing the webcam while the “raw” video stream will also being recorded in parallel (thank you MacOS for non-exclusive input devices), which is then sent to my streaming PC through NDI. I may have something like 500ms of latency.

NOTE: Using Three.JS is my personal best shot as i’m a big noob with Unity and Unreal. And it’s only working on my Mabcook, because for some reason, my PC is really bad at using a 4K webcam stream in a webpage.

Now, i would like to explore alternatives, do you have a release available so that i can test SRT ?
Or maybe i could be involved in your beta testing with OBS ?

I would like to try implementing NDI maybe, can you or @craig suggest a starting boilerplate to implement a custom streaming plugin for the Z1 ? Is GitHub - ricohapi/theta-wireless-live-streaming-plugin: Wireless live streaming plug-in for RICOH THETA a good start ?

Thanks a lot guys, i might keep the Theta Z1 for my projects, until maybe Ricoh has a new affordable camera that would better fit my needs.

1 Like

That project is a good starting point as it is maintained by RICOH engineers and is published under the open source Apache license

1 Like