New Firmware Version for THETA Z1 - Please Update Now!

Available now, firmware version 1.40.1 for THETA Z1. For developers, it’s recommended by RICOH that you always work with the most recent firmware on all development projects.

Firmware version 1.40.1 for THETA Z1 has corrected shakiness when shooting videos. This is done when transferring videos to a smartphone with the zenith correction turned on.

Side-by-side comparison here:

Slightly more info here:
https://support.theta360.com/en/download/firmware/z1/

Download is best done through the RICOH THETA desktop app, connecting your THETA by USB. Doing it through your mobile app is also possible, connecting by Wi-Fi. Firmware update size is 671MB.

2 Likes

I went through the process of testing the firmware upgrade with my Pixel 2 running Android 10 and the Z1. Although I normally use the desktop app to upgrade the camera firmware with a USB cable, I wanted to experience the firmware upgrade process with a mobile phone.

The Pixel 2 cannot connect to the camera and the Internet at the same time. For this test, I am manually switching the Wi-Fi connection of my Pixel2 between the camera and my home router and back again to the camera.

I’m using 5GHz Wi-Fi for faster transfer speeds. Tap on “Camera settings.”

At this stage, my phone is stating that the download size of the firmware is 7.40MB. Your post indicated that the firmware was 671MB. Am I getting the same update???

The download size of 7.40 MB seems easy and fast with a mobile phone. What is the 671MB file and why is it different?

status bar.

need to switch back to Wi-Fi connection to the THETA Z1.

Camera OLED flashes “Firmware Update”.

It blinks for a minute. It eventually returns back to normal.

The mobile app shows that I am at 1.40.1