New Z1 Support in DualFisheye Plug-in by Ichi Hirota Update

Yes, I have an android phone. My concern would, again, be having to be connected to the Theta to do anything which isn’t ideal.

If there was simply a new mode called VFX or something along those lines that weighted the exposure towards capturing details in the highlights then that’d be amazing. I imagine you’d enter the mode the same as you do bracket and once in there, you’d have the same options. The only difference is what the mid exposure is.

Hi I have a question.

I am on iOS and have a Z1. I wonder if I would buy the Android app and find a suitable Android phone and set the capture to ± 2EV and the Aperture to 5,6 is there a way I can set this as default so next time I capture with the camera only set to DNG 5 Bracket will it be ± 1 EV Aperture 2,1 or does it remember the last setting? (Aperture 5,6 ± 2 EV)

1 Like

Hi @HanEiter!

THETA Z1 can save shooting conditions set with a smartphone or the API. Shooting conditions registered in My Settings can be enabled by pressing and holding the Function (Fn) button on the side of your Z1. The advantage is that you can save your shooting conditions and use them even while not connected to a smartphone.

It does not matter if you use iOS or Android.

If you want to set this through the THETA mobile app, you can. Please experiment with MySetting and let me know how it goes.

Go to Settings —> My Settings

You will need to Register to Camera to save the settings.

If if want to set these settings through the API, here is the main API command:
https://api.ricoh/docs/theta-web-api-v2.1/commands/camera._set_my_setting/
And the Options that you can set for the command:
https://api.ricoh/docs/theta-web-api-v2.1/commands/camera.set_options/

I think the OP was asking if the Dual Fisheye Remote App could save the Aperture to 5.6 as the default setting.

Did you test the Dual Fisheye Remote App to confirm that it reads in the values from MySettings for the aperture?

To answer the question, you likely need to test the dual fisheye plug-in remote app.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=hirota41.com.dualfishcontroller&hl=en_US&gl=US

The DFE plugin remote app remembers the last-used settings and opens with that. I always use f5.6, -1EV, 9 shots and it always opens on those settings.

Keep in mind that DFE always shoots in one stop increments and setting the EV value shifts the entire bracketed set in that direction.

2 Likes

boom! and there it is. wisdom from Grant McBride.

Saved us an hour of testing. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve literally spent the last year testing and determining the optimum settings and software for my virtual tour photos so I might as well save others the hassle lol

1 Like

Fantastic info, thanks Grant!

1 Like

The functionality of the EV setting in DFE isn’t intuitive. I originally believed that I could get the same EV spread with 3 brackets as with 9 by adjusting the EV value to increase the ±EV between brackets but that isn’t the case, and it makes sense when you notice that the setting is labelled EV OFFSET and not ±EV.

So since DFE always shoots in 1 stop increments it’s the number of brackets taken that determines the ±EV of your highest and lowest exposures in relation to the middle bracket:

• 3 Brackets = ±1EV
  • 5 Brackets = ±2EV
  • 7 Brackets = ±3EV
  • 9 Brackets = ±4EV

So to clarify, if you want 3 brackets at ±4EV you’d need to take 9 brackets and discard 2,3,4,6,7,8.

Hi, thank you for the info. But I always will need the app right? Was hoping to use other with the app once and set what I need and if I start it without the app on the camera it remembers the settings as well. Trying to find a way to get around buying an Android phone just for DFE :wink:

The plugin does not remember previous settings without the app and there’s also no way to change EV offset without the app either.

1 Like

If I do 5 shot bracket using DFE and offset of -2,

it would go from -2,1,0,1,2

to

-4,-3,-2,-1,0 ???

Yes that’s correct :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi All,

I just got Z1 for a month now. I got Z1 for the RAW capability. I used the Z1 along with the Dual Fisheye plugin.

I have installed the latest firmware 2.00.1 and the Dual Fisheye RAW plugin. It is amazing how fast it is.

Unfortantlay, there is no remote app for it till now.

Kindly, how can I communicate with Ichi Hirota to send him a feature request?

I know this brilliant engineer is doing it as a hobby, but I hope he has enough time to help by developing the remote app and some features similar to DSLR workflow.

Thanks for helping,

1 Like

@ahmadsabry Try doing a tag here to @hirota41, he may notice.

Hello,

How does one fix the inconsistency of image direction in images? Is there a way to edit these before stitching process?

Thank you.

Hello,

For some reason my theta Z1 has started capturing some images in a vertical format (as shown above in the JPG format) and some in normal format (as in DNG) and I cannot stitch the ones in vertical format. Your support would be greatly appreciated as I am currently processing images for a client.

Thank you in advance.

What the hell is “vertical format”?
Please show me the screenshot.

Toyo

Pictures come out exactly like the post from JollyTVFX (shown above) except both JPG and DNG are coming out in same orientation whilst using dual fisheye plugin

I’m shooting high voltage areas, perhaps it is messing with the internal camera calibration? Is there a way to ground or protect the camera to prevent this from happening? Camera frequently shows the exclamation next to a diamond which according to Ricoh’s customer support it indicates lack of calibration.

See this video.