Options to display 360 images on a public map

It can’t be helped. Google just rejected the watermaked image.

You can upload any 360 photos on Google Maps from “Add a photo” button.
It’ll be display in Street view & 360 tab without extra cost.

Hope you enjoy.
Toyo

1 Like

Not really … the image location snaps to the location of the “place” and the actual location of the image is ignored … ie the blue dot is in the wrong location. Confirmed at Photosphere blue dot on google maps does not reflect the actual location of my 360 picture - Google Maps Community

Not really?

PE knows how to use the right tool?

Can do that with Pano2VR.
But it’s not free.

Toyo

2 Likes

Banged my head against this for months. Blue lines via mp4’s DO work with the app. Adding single 360’s via Google maps app doesn’t. Free solution: emulate an older version of street view:

https://apkpure.com/google-street-view/com.google.android.street/versions

I’ve using version Google Street View 2.0.0.268460236 (40449) Run an Android emulator like Bluestacks. Works perfectly (for now). It’s glorious.

2 Likes

Presumably this example was posted to google maps with either the street view app ( no-longer works ) or, as you suggest, the expensive Pano2VR ( which throws an error for me ).

Really good idea, thanks.

To summarise my investigations -

• Upload 360 picture with Google Maps app or Google Maps web the location (blue dot) is shown as the named place, not the location of the picture
  • Current Google Street View app does work (for me) and anyway is being withdrawn … work-around is to run an older version under emulation
  • Google My Maps doesn’t support displaying of 360 pictures
  • Testing with Pano2VR started to work ( picture was uploaded to correct place ) but then Pano2VR throws an error
  • It’s possible to use the Google API to upload a 360 picture with the location (blue dot) is the actual location of the picture
  • It should be possible to convert a set of 360 jpg’s to an mp4 and upload via Google Street View Studio … but I found it never gets past “processing” stage ( running more than a week )
  • Umap works … ie has enough hooks to display 360 pictures. However, pictures do need to be stored on your own server
  • Finally, I found the android THETA app crashes whilst attempting to parse dates … reported to Ricoh but I’m not hopeful

I’m sure glad I didn’t invest a lot in the camera.

I might end up writing a stand-alone cli tool to upload 360 pictures to google maps ( via the API ) and perhaps generate umap configurations. Or maybe hosting my own umap instance.

Can you provide more information on when the THETA app crashes with the SC2?

• phone model
  • OS version on phone
  • SC2 firmware version
  • mobile app version

when does the crash occur? For example, does it crash when you attempt to list the images on the mobile app?

5 posts were split to a new topic: RICOH Official Mobile App Crashing with SC2 and Android 13

I can confirm that @Juantonto photo sphere is in the correct location with your custom name that you have for it.

Will test out your method and see if it works for me.

1 Like

Hi, @erikrod1
Thank you for your confirmation. Here is another story.

ss_2023-04-01 124441

Published the virtual tour on Maps for the small and old shrine.
Camera: Theta Z1 and HDR(RAW)

Hope you enjoy, again.
Toyo

1 Like

I see this was published last year … I bet if it was published today ( with google maps or google street view ) you would get different results.

Nothing changed.

ss_2023-04-01 171442

The image above was captured with SONY ZV-E10 + Tokina SZ 8mm FISH-EYE and published it from Pano2VR Pro ver.6.

Today published another 2 linked images captured in Kyoto. Those will come alive soon.

However, those are not the sample of RICOH camera, too.
Toyo

Ah, thanks. I would expect Pano2VR to get it right ( although I did see an error myself when I tried the trial version once, although the picture itself was uploaded correctly ).

Thanks for the detail.

1 Like

Google Street View doesn’t allow me to upload photos anymore.

Street View Studio only Takes in Videos not Single Photos.

Uploaded 360 Photo to Google Maps via iPhone waiting for it to be published and see results of the location/photo-sphere. Wasn’t straightforward for me to do.

Also before I uploaded, the app asked me to “Choose a location” and I set it as Palo Alto, CA

1 Like

Did you use an iPhone because there were no Android apps to do this from the Android tablet on your desk?

Tablet had no charge and I was charging it.

got it. I was just wondering if there was an Android app available.

I’m curious as to the accuracy of the image when it appears on Google Maps.

One of the photos was published using Google Maps via an iPhone. Another was posted using plord12/360tools. They both seem to be in the right location with their own unique photo spheres.

Unfortunately I didn’t document which photo was published with which tool but luckily I have two more photos that I haven’t published which I’ll note which tool is used this time.

On iPhone I remember being able to just type in “Palo Alto, CA” and add it as the location and on android this time today I had to select a nearby location. So in the new test I’ll show the results of both tools one using Android Google maps to publish and another using plord12/360tools .

2 Likes

First Photo was published on an Android Tablet where I was given no option to select a general location and had to select the closest location. The location for this one is incorrect.

Second Photo was published with plord12/360tools with no issues. Location is correct and uploaded it using a windows laptop.

The ghosting is due to using HDR while moving. For outside shots holding the monopod in your hand, you should disable HDR.

Is the problem only occurring on Android with the Google Maps app?