Resolving Problems Connecting to Camera with Wi-Fi

Updated: 2018 October 22

I’ve been trying to help people resolve connection problems to see what the source of their problem is. The problems fall into 3 categories.

Number 1 Problem is Old Firmware

This video will help you upgrade the firmware.

Number 2 Problem is Need to Power Cycle

Make sure you press and hold the power button for longer than 8 seconds. This will turn off the THETA V and reset the THETA SC and THETA S.

See this post on Facebook from someone with a THETA SC.

Number 3 Problem is Need to Disable Battery Optimization

Link to original post

Link to original post

THETA V

THETA S and SC

https://topics.theta360.com/en/faq/c_06_s/105/

Weird, Unexplained Problems

I recently encountered a problem with using camera features through Wi-Fi. This prevented both the RICOH official mobile app as well as my custom applications from working. I resolved the problem by uninstalling all the plug-ins on my camera and turning off bluetooth. The problem is resolved, but I haven’t been able to identify the original source of the problem.

Symptoms

• mobile phone connects to camera in AP mode. mobile app does not work
  • phone connects to camera in Client Mode. Mobile app does not work
  • desktop computer connects to camera in AP mode. Only GET commands work. POST commands do not work. osc/info/ works. osc/state does not work

Troubleshooting

• used different mobile phones with different operating systems
  • verified firmware and all apps were up to date
  • used different Wi-Fi routers to test client mode
  • used different computers to connect to camera and test API commands directly
  • used different camera (everything worked)

Solution

• deleted all plug-ins using THETA desktop application
  • turned off bluetooth using Vysor
  • rebooted camera by pressing power button for longer than 8 seconds

Confirming Everything Works

• official mobile app works on Android 9
  • custom applications work on desktop
  • applications work with Bluetooth enabled (did not test with it connected)

Best Guess as to Source of Problem

Although I don’t know the source of the problem, I suspect that a custom plug-in was locking some resource related to the network.

I am running Android Pie 9 and was running THETA V firmware 2.40. I was unable to send commands from the mobile app after establishing Wi-Fi connection. After upgrading to firmware 2.50.1 everything works again.

Android 9.0 on Pixel and on Samsung devices connects to Theta WiFi then almost immediately drops connection. After turning off battery optimisation it stays connected for 20 seconds. Then drops. I don’t believe that this is a battery optimisation issue. This might be related to

CAPTIVE_PORTAL_DETECTION_ENABLED

setting which is system one which we cannot change unless rooted. It won’t happen if phone doesn’t have sim card and you are not nearby valid wifi network. Phone automatically chooses network with internet and with best parameters. No valid solution found yet

try putting the Samsung device into airplane mode, then enable only wifi. In this configuration, the cellular data is disabled.

1 Like

Good evening, I have a problem with my Theta S, basically when I connect it to my Samsung Note 9 I can’t see the video preview, I only see the preview photos, solutions? Thank you

I’m not sure if the mobile app can display the video preview of the THETA S when the THETA S is in video mode. It may only work in image mode for the “Live Preview”, which looks like a low framerate video.

There could have been firmware upgrades to implement the capability, but I think that the Live Preview may not work with video.

1 Like

I have a Theta V and a Pixel 4 running android 10.
I am unable to connect to it using WiFi.
Tried all the popular suggested solutions so far, including disabling battery optimisations.
It is pointless trying to use the app on the phone now.

I use Theta V wifi enabled airplane mode and have stable connection with galaxy S9 plus

1 Like