RICOH THETA Z1 - Calibrate Your Compass

If you calibrate using the app, then close the app, does the compass remain calibrated? I’m not using the app very much, because it isn’t functional when shooting with the dual fisheye plugin (on iOS, at least). Also, it’s unclear to me how much impact an uncalibrated compass might have on my workflow, if any. I calibrate my drone compass regularly, because it flies. My Theta Z1 doesn’t fly. And it’s images aren’t connected until I connect them in the virtual tour. I use Ricoh 360Tours, but will likely move to Kuula due to the cost. Have never had an issue in either platform and my compass has never been in calibration since I began using the Z1! Figure eights only make my shoulders stronger - the compass cares not… Anyway, just checking to see if there’s any new knowledge out there, regarding this topic. Cheers.

If you calibrate the compass once, it should stay calibrated for a while. I’m not sure what makes it require calibration. I also used the camera with an uncalibrated compass and the pictures were fine. This may have more of an impact if you use auto-placement for a tour or Google Streetview where the application you are using to view the images may care about the camera orientation.

2 Likes