Some spot during 360 deg video recording need help Theta V

Hi There,

Need help. Just bought a Theta V couple off days ago. I am facing a unique spot on all the 360 deg videos I record in 4k. Attaching the problematic spot. Visible just above my eye. am I doing something wrong here?

that’s not normal. Contact the seller or RICOH official support.

In parallel, you can try upgrading your camera to the latest firmware. See process below to upgrade to 3.21.1

Is it only video or is the problem on still images?

Suggest you get to the root of the problem quickly while the camera is still under warranty.

If it is a firmware fix, please report back. I have not seen that problem before.

I updated the latest firmware right after opening the box using my macbook and the app.

Here are some more shots. Happens only in videos. photos are not affected. Surprisingly. . Though while i get to opening the video to view it in the theta app, it says “Zenith Correction during transfer of video is set to off. The video may still be tilted during playback” I click OK to that. I have ordered for a replacement from amazon. I bought it only few days back.

Regards,
Vikas

pic01 pic02 pic03

Great to hear that you bought it on Amazon. I’m glad you tested it within the 30 day return period. The Zenith correction setting should not produce the artifact. It is not normal camera behavior.

I’m assuming you’re using the most recent version of the app (which shouldn’t actually matter).

Hi Craig,

Thanks for all the support. Yes the firmware is indeed 3.21.1 and the app as well recent. Downloaded from the theta official website. yesterday only. Just to add, While clicking in the video mode, the camera was independent and not connected to my phone thru wireless. Also i moved the camera side ways in 1 video and front and back in another. The side which has the button on the camera was facing me.

Regards,

Vikas

Strange behaviour.

Ok, So after playing with multiple settings, seems like the problem is resolved after i did the below.

Stitching during Shooting to ON
CTS Settings to ON (don’t know what they are)

Still not able to understand whats this Zenith Thing and how do i take care of this??

Cancelled my return request.

Regards,

Vikas

1 Like

wow, this is a new problem. Thank you for all your work reporting it.

I’m going to put this in a report for people I know at RICOH. Please continue to test it to make sure you have it working.

If you tilt the camera sideways, so that you have it with the lens facing the ground and sky, you can see a video sideways. If zenith correction is on, the image will readjust inside the camera.

1 Like

Thanks a ton Craig. Much help!
One last query. How do i turn the Zenith Correction ON? Cant see the setting anywhere in the Theta V.

Regards,

Vikas

Update:

OK, I’m now not sure what this means?

I can’t find any reference to top/bottom correction for video, only for still images.

Also, I don’t think the API to turn off top/bottom correction for still images is accessible from the mobile app.

Someone with more experience with videos will need to give us the answer.

1 Like

@vikasmehta27, can you post a clip of the video file with the problem?

There are some tests we can do to isolate the problem.

If the artifact only appears on the mobile app viewer, but not on the desktop (PC or Mac) viewer, then the problem is with the mobile app viewer.

If the artifact appears on both the mobile app video viewer and the desktop viewer, then the problem may be with the video file data.

No problem, if you deleted your earlier test files. However, if you have the files, I will send it to RICOH.

Hi Craig,

Posting a 3 second video as the file size grows bigger. Will this work? Else i will post a bigger one? Oops. New users cant upload big attachments. Sharing the youtube link.

And thanks for the zenith correction. Taken care off.

Regards,
Vikas