Theta SC videos do not open on the Ricoh Theta app (Win 10)

Ok.
I filmed a video, downloaded into my PC, and when I try to convert the 2-fisheye image to an equirectangular, I can’t even load it into the Theta App on my computer.
I always get this error:

An error has ocurred
Sorry, please perform the operation again from the start.

No metadata was changed, files are not edited, they came straight from the camera, the files are small, the pc is 100% up to date.

can you take a test clip, load it to google drive or dropbox or some storage location and put the link to the test clip in this forum?

Hi Craig.

Thanks for replying. Here is a short video I took:

I recorded it by using the camera button and then downloaded by connecting via USB to a win10 pc and navigating to the mounted memory.
I have tested and the file mails to load on the Ricoh Theta App.

Thanks for uploading the test clip.

I successfully tested the conversion on Windows 11. This likely indicates that the video file from your camera is OK. Suggest you focus the problem trace on the desktop app. Verify you are using the most recent version of the desktop app.

Please post the version of the THETA app you are using for the conversion.

@dot.dot I’m not sure if you’re using the stitcher program or not. But I just noticed that the RICOH THETA Stitcher for Windows has been updated. I believe the latest version is 3.10.0. I have not tested this.

Thanks for the replies.
I am using 3.18.0 as well.

I tested on another machine I have.
Same specs with a crucial difference, the one that works is running an NVIDIA GTX 1070.
The one that fails is running ar NVIDIA RTX 3060TI

Is it possible for you to open a support ticket for this with the official RICOH support system?

Contact | RICOH THETA

I don’t have a nice NVIDIA RTX 3060Ti and thus can’t replicate the problem.

I wish I had an RTX 3060Ti.

As an interim workaround, can you temporarily force the software to use your internal GPU that is on the CPU?

Thanks for the reply.

I submitted a ticket.

My CPU’s don’t have an iGPU, so dGPU is the only way to go, but that might indeed be a workaround for someone else.
Hopefully it’s something that is fixed soon.

1 Like

Thanks. Can you post what version of Windows you are using?
Example of my system. Windows 11, 22H2

I also have a RTX 2060 installed.

I don’t know if the software is using the integrated GPU or the discrete GPU on my system.

Glad to hear that you have at least one working system. Using the NVIDIA GTX 1070 system, you can stitch your mp4 file?

@craig
Windows 10 Pro
21H2

Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 TI
Driver 516.59

If you want to see which Gpu you are using, the Task Manager shows that information:

I started Ricoh Theta App via the CLI, and i got this output once i tried to read in a video:

[21:13:24.666] [info] Main start()
[21:13:24.710] [info] {
  filePath: 'C:\\Users\\Helder\\AppData\\Local\\Programs\\RicohTheta\\RICOH THETA.exe',
  mimeType: 'application/x-msdownload',
  isSupported: false,
  exist: true
}
(node:18400) ProtocolDeprecateCallback: The callback argument of protocol module APIs is no longer needed.
(Use `RICOH THETA --trace-warnings ...` to show where the warning was created)
[21:13:24.746] [info] process.arch : x64
[21:13:24.747] [info] OS.version() : Windows 10 Pro
[21:13:25.074] [info] already installed c++ x86 redist : v14.29
[21:13:25.837] [info] [checkEnabledOpenGL] Error: Code: unexpected_error_has_occured
pluginHelper: spawn 'C:\Users\Helder\AppData\Local\Programs\RicohTheta\resources\tools\mtphelper\win\MtpHelper.exe'
[21:13:26.381] [info] process.arch : x64
[21:13:26.382] [info] OS.version() : Windows 10 Pro
[21:13:26.645] [info] already installed c++ x86 redist : v14.29
[21:13:26.646] [info] Queueing: []
(node:18400) [DEP0106] DeprecationWarning: crypto.createDecipher is deprecated.
[21:13:26.680] [info] Checking for update
[21:13:26.681] [info] checking-for-update
[21:13:27.411] [info] Update for version 3.18.0 is not available (latest version: 3.18.0, downgrade is disallowed).
[21:13:27.411] [info] update-not-available: {"version":"3.18.0","path":"RICOH THETA Setup.3.18.0.exe","sha2":"3a838adb4ed5fb64d325f4357be56c50b5bb823c3c1ecbc5206e2e499ba42487"}
[21:14:02.059] [info] dualfish video
[21:14:02.073] [error] TypeError: Cannot read properties of undefined (reading 'enabledOpenGL')
    at SphereWindow.openVideoConvertWindow (C:\Users\Helder\AppData\Local\Programs\RicohTheta\resources\app.asar\RicohTheta\javascripts\main\sphere_window.js:1:61514)
    at C:\Users\Helder\AppData\Local\Programs\RicohTheta\resources\app.asar\RicohTheta\javascripts\main\sphere_window.js:1:16800
    at tryCatcher (C:\Users\Helder\AppData\Local\Programs\RicohTheta\resources\app.asar\node_modules\bluebird\js\release\util.js:16:23)
    at Promise._settlePromiseFromHandler (C:\Users\Helder\AppData\Local\Programs\RicohTheta\resources\app.asar\node_modules\bluebird\js\release\promise.js:547:31)
    at Promise._settlePromise (C:\Users\Helder\AppData\Local\Programs\RicohTheta\resources\app.asar\node_modules\bluebird\js\release\promise.js:604:18)
    at Promise._settlePromise0 (C:\Users\Helder\AppData\Local\Programs\RicohTheta\resources\app.asar\node_modules\bluebird\js\release\promise.js:649:10)
    at Promise._settlePromises (C:\Users\Helder\AppData\Local\Programs\RicohTheta\resources\app.asar\node_modules\bluebird\js\release\promise.js:729:18)
    at _drainQueueStep (C:\Users\Helder\AppData\Local\Programs\RicohTheta\resources\app.asar\node_modules\bluebird\js\release\async.js:93:12)
    at _drainQueue (C:\Users\Helder\AppData\Local\Programs\RicohTheta\resources\app.asar\node_modules\bluebird\js\release\async.js:86:9)
    at Async._drainQueues (C:\Users\Helder\AppData\Local\Programs\RicohTheta\resources\app.asar\node_modules\bluebird\js\release\async.js:102:5)
    at Immediate.Async.drainQueues [as _onImmediate] (C:\Users\Helder\AppData\Local\Programs\RicohTheta\resources\app.asar\node_modules\bluebird\js\release\async.js:15:14)
    at processImmediate (node:internal/timers:464:21)

@jcasman Yes, the GTX 1070 works just fine.

Thanks for sharing this information.

Hopefully, the RICOH customer support will be able to help.

The video looks like it was taken by a RICOH THETA S. This is an all black camera with a small silver ring around the lens. Product | RICOH THETA

Software Version                : RICOH THETA S Ver 1.82
Content Create Date             : 2022:10:25 09:22:14+01:00
Aperture                        : 1.0
Image Size                      : 1920x1080
Megapixels                      : 2.1
Shutter Speed                   : 0
Avg Bitrate                     : 16.1 Mbps