Start Here: MIT Reality Virtually Hackathon 2017

We’re here to help you build an exciting VR project at the MIT Reality, Virtually, Hackathon 2017. Please ask us questions online.

Project options:

1. 360 image - camera can take a 360 image through a HTTP API and transfer the image to a mobile device, laptop, or device like a Raspberry Pi. Imagine a project like Google Streetview. This is good for virtual tours, travel, real estate, automobile sales, VR training. The key thing to consider is that you are showing the inside of something. For example, you can show the interior of a factory or a car much more effectively than the outside.

2. 360 video - you can save an 360 video to file. The file can be handled similar to a 360 image with the API and transfer. Insert additional information here about spatial audio and video stitching

3. live streaming - This will only work with a Windows or Mac computer.

Using Unity

There are a number of articles on using Unity in the Unity Development discussion area.

Live streaming platform support with the THETA V. As of 10/1/2017:

• Mac OS X works great. HowTo.
  • Windows 10 does not work. Problem

Images and video from file should work. 4K video not tested as of 10/1/2017.

Live Streaming Techniques

Many people from the community like to use Unity due to the powerful toolset it provides. Here’s something you can build in 10 minutes.

This videos shows the Unity scripts. The registry hack was for the THETA S (previous generation THETA). We have not gotten it to work with the THETA V.

Example sphere with flip normals

NOTE: The above sphere was made on Windows 10 using Blender. I had problems with stitch lines when I made the sphere on Mac OS X with Blender. After I created the sphere on Windows 10 with Blender, I transferred it to my Mac.

This video shows the sphere above in use on Unity on Mac OS X.

Live Streaming and VR Headset Controllers

This technique uses SteamVR to get the live stream inside of an HTC Vive headset. We have not tested this with the THETA V.

VR Controller Techniques with WebVR

For 360 images and potentially video on some platforms, you can also use WebVR, which is much easier to use than Unity.

There’s an active discussion of A-Frame on the theta360.guide forum.

Particle Effects and Basic Objects

This example was made by a 12 year old girl with A-Frame. It is a 360 image from the THETA S. The small white dots are particles. Live demo for Google Cardboard. Using the A-Frame tutorial, you can create something with a 360 image in 10 minutes. A-Frame handles the VR controller motion.

USB API

There is an active discussion on using the USB API here.

The above image is from Koen Hufken’s project he built for a climate impact research project near his Harvard lab.

Using USB API from Raspberry Pi

Step by step install instructions for ptpcam on Raspberry Pi Zero is here.

Asking Questions

Go to discussion area for this hackathon

MIT Reality Virtually Hackathon 2017 - THETA 360 Developer

or

MIT Reality Virtually Hackathon 2017 - THETA 360 Developer

Create a new topic and ask your question.

1 Like