Join us for an evening of programming the newest RICOH THETA, the V. Develop apps (plug-ins) that can be installed directly in the camera, avoiding the need to have a paired smartphone. Turn the camera into a customized device when in Plug-in Mode, and jump back out to normal functionality with a touch of a button!
You’ll work through an online tutorial at your own pace, with theta360.guide organizers helping along the way. Roll up your sleeves and get started!
If you already have a V, you can get it unlocked at the workshop and get started immediately. Regular Vs do not work for development. If you do not have a V, we will provide some during the workshop for testing.
- How to develop a plug-in
- Hands-on experience with code
- Development tools
- Workflow best practices
- Money-making opportunities available when you develop a plug-in for the RICOH THETA platform
- Marketing and promotional opportunities for your plug-in with the world’s most widely used 360 camera
- Advantages of developing a plug-in versus mobile app
If you want to do development
- Bring your own laptop
- Come with SDK downloaded
- Come with Android Studio installed
- Come with THETA official mobile app installed on your smartphone
- Bring your Theta V - we will unlock but we need your serial number one day AHEAD OF TIME
- Review tutorial ahead of time
Activities for Non-Developers
If you are not developing a plug-in, there are no requirements except having an interest in RICOH THETA, AR/VR, and 360 video telepresence. We’ll have a 360 video telepresence demo showing live streaming into an HTC Vive headset that non-developers can use! We’ll also have a few THETA Vs available that we can use to show you cool usage tips. (If you’re a developer, full code to develop a Unity-based video telepresence application yourself is available.)
- THETA V will stream 4K 360 video into a HTC Vive Headset
- You can move your head in any direction and the scene in the headset will change
- Single channel audio works
- VR controllers work
- We can adjust the height and orientation of the THETA V for different perspectives
Seating is limited, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm participation. Please send your affiliation and your idea(s) or questions for plug-in development.
Hanahaus - 456 University Ave, Palo Alto, CA 94301 - map
Inside Hanahause, look for conference room “Berlin”
Via CalTrain - from San Francisco or San Jose - “Palo Alto Station” - about 15 min away
Via Car - Park your car directly at HanaHaus: During the week, the Cowper/Webster parking garage offers 3 hours of free parking and the Cowper/Hamilton parking lot is available for 2 hours of free parking