The Little Black Box

Thanks for the suggestions Craig. I guess that I am far enought along with the product now that I need to start considering opertunties like those.

Again Craig thanks. I am very interested in the next THETA Developer Contest.

Bob

1 Like

Theta S perched high while being controlled by a Little Black Box system.

Wow, that looks high, easily 15 feet above the rooftop. No weather enclosure needed for the THETA?

Is that a power cable or an Ethernet cable connected to the LBB?

No enclosure, it was just a temporary setup for testing. I am still finding that the biggest problem with the Theta S outdoors is heat. The Theta S shuts down very quickly from heat after it passes it’s 40C/104F high operational temperature rating.

I am hoping that the new 4K version will be able to do better. I have had the LBB CPU running past 60C/140F with no problems.

There is no cable connected to the LBB or the Theta S in that picture. The line that you see is a cord attached for stability. The LBB is actually not even in the picture but at ground level. I was just stressing the ability of the system to take a series of High Resolution images at an 8 second interval with the ability to view each image within a few seconds of it’s capture and processing. It worked great on the bench but I wanted to try a realtime application of the system. It worked well. I was able to log into the LBB during image capturing and view images in near realtime in either equipectangular or 360 VR (even with Google Glasses) modes.

Most of the testing was done in the evening for heat reasons. I had a neighbor call and ask if I knew that there was a blue light flashing above my house. I think I will need to put in a request to Ricoh Theta about an API to turn off the LEDs. Could you or Jesse pass that on for me?

2 Likes

Alert, alert! UFO alert!

I am still finding that the biggest problem with the Theta S outdoors is heat. The Theta S shuts down very quickly from heat after it passes it’s 40C/104F high operational temperature rating. I am hoping that the new 4K version will be able to do better.

Hi Bob. Quick question - have you managed to determine maximum operating temperature for the Theta V. I’m about to do some testing myself but if you’ve already done it… no point duplicating efforts…

If you haven’t already, I’ll let you know the results of my own tests.

Sadly it’s spring here in Australia, so no 40+ deg days yet for testing…

For what it’s worth, the Theta V specifications page shows an operating temperature range of 0deg to 40deg Celsius…

Thanks. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, the 40C is the top end of the range for the Theta while the Pi is good to go up to about 60C. I am in Las Vegas so I was having problems during the day all the time while testing this summer. I was measuring the surface temperature of the Theta S. It locked up when it got to the 40C.

Bob

2 Likes