Tutorial: Live Ricoh Theta S Dual Fish Eye for SteamVR in Unity

Hey, the link to the package is no longer working. Any chance you can share the package some other way?

Are you looking for these?

If not, let me know which packages you’re looking for.

have a nice day.

1 Like

The dropbox link is this one:

Thanks a lot! I tried importing that package but got the error message: couldn’t decompress package. Any idea why that happened?

Nevermind got it working :slight_smile:

1 Like

Great news! Hey, I’d be interested in learning what you’re doing with live streaming.

Also, do you know that you can get UVC FullHD Blender working in Unity as well with the hack below? People are doing some cool things with Unity and the THETA. Always exciting to learn about new projects.

Hi! I was just wondering what the oculus equivalent of the steamvr prefab is.

Are you using STEAM VR with Oculus Rift?
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=3180-UPHK-0900

Or, are you using the Oculus SDK?

Do you have a THETA V or a THETA S?

Thank you, but I just figured it out. I was using the Oculus SDK with a Theta V.

However, now I have a new problem. The Theta V does not display anything. I know that the code works because I am able to use the webcam in the computer, however, whenever I use the Theta V, I just see the default scene.

On another note, I made a script that prints the device names in the console, and the Theta V shows up three times as different webcams. (1) Theta V, (2) Theta V FullHd, and (3) Theta V 4K. Is this normal?

Is there an SDK that runs on Mac? There’s some problems using Unity with the THETA V live streaming.

Hello everyone! I have recently switched form theta v to theta s, and now it works! I was wondering, does the wifi feature on the theta s only work with the app? Or am I able to use the wifi camera preview with the Unity app that we have created above.

1 Like

Example using THETA S and Unity using WiFi API

1 Like

Hi, I am a postgraduate student at Osaka University. I am using HoloLens for research.
I want to use Theta V to rebuild indoor environment. The Theta V is now on the way, and, I want to know is this live stream package available on HoloLens?
thank you!

We don’t have any community projects with the HoloLens, though it should work.

The THETA V appears as a standard webcam to a Windows 10 machine. Although I’m not familiar with HoloLens, I expect that it has an API to accept an equirectangular video stream. According to this article, Windows Mixed Reality immersive headsets should work with SteamVR. If that is the case, there are a number of projects on this site that use SteamVR and the THETA. Just use the THETA V as a standard webcam texture if you use Unity.

You will likely need this driver:

The last time I checked, audio is single channel only.

Most people are using tethered USB connection between the camera and the computer.

It’ll be great to hear your experiences with the HoloLens and THETA V.

Either @jcasman or I will need to ask someone at Ricoh if it’s possible to use the plug-in to stream over a USB cable. Currently, we only have examples to stream from the plug-in using Ethernet or Wi-Fi.

The Ricoh camera app can stream over USB, but it’s using a different code base.

Update: 2018/09/18: Does not look possible to stream dual-fisheye over USB using the plug-in. See this:

Helo,

I am streaming 360 by by USB.
I brought S first and its resolution is not high enough for my application.
I then brought V.

For V, I adopted “THETA THETA V 4k” driver.

I tried below Unity sphere example for my V. It works.

However, it has some defects at transition edges between two camera.

I tried this example for my S. it works great with no defects.
Below are those Sphere parameters.
Sphere1:
Offset U: 0.013
Offset V: 0.007
Scale U: 0.983
Scale V: 1.149
Scale Center U: 0.0686
Scale Center V: 0.5

Sphere2:
Offset U: -0.01
Offset V: -0.031
Scale U: 0.976
Scale V: 0.958
Scale Center U: 0.26
Scale Center V: 0.55
However, these parameters are not suitable for V.
I tried one whole day to tune those parameters so that my V can work with Dual Fish.
But i failed.
If anyone knows the parameter values?

Thanks~

I think most people are using the equirectangular live stream on the THETA V. How did you get the dual-fisheye stream with the THETA V?

Hi, I am working on a project where I’m streaming live video from my htc vive headset into unity using steamvr and I need to access the frames coming into unity in order to perform some image processing on them. Does anyone know their path or some way to access them?

Thanks in advance

https://answers.unity.com/questions/337530/how-to-save-a-snapshot-of-the-webcamtexture.html

This article was interesting, but more involved.