Z1 video suffers from heavy compression artifacts

While I’m quite happy with the image quality based on the DNG workflow, I’m disappointed by the video quality of the Z1.

Even the unstitched out-of-camera MP4 shows heavy compression artifacts. This is especially noticeable when you move the camera within a textured environment, e.g. by carrying it on a selfie-stick on front of you walking in the woods.

The video stream has a bitrate of about 56 Mbit/s which is not much for this resolution. In addition, the standard compression algorithms are not working well on the fisheye images as techniques such as motion prediction will fail unless being adapted to fisheye projection (which I doubt being currently the case).

Nevertheless, I hope that Ricoh’s developers can improve the video quality via firmware upgrades. If not already limited by hardware speed, please increase the bitrate! Yes, this may result in thermal issues but a configurable rate would at least give the user the choice.

Not directly related to the compression artifacts but also contributing the disappointing end result is the stitching quality which is considerably worse than the stitching quality of still images! Fortunately, this can be improved as it is done in postprocessing outside the camera. Ricoh, pleeeaaase!

2 Likes

Hi, @CorLeone, Is the noise you are describing the bottom square that you can see in my video too?

This is a 4K video shot with Z1.

2 Likes

I seem to have posted the wrong information. I’m sorry.
The square noise I posted was not present in the original video shot with the camera. This seems to be a characteristic noise generated by the processing of Youtube.

1 Like

Yes, both the stitcher as well as Youtube add additional compression artifacts, further degrading the image quality.

But the out-of-camera MP4 is already barely usable. Here’s a sample MP4 exposed with standard settings (“4k”, 100 ISO):
Sample OOC MP4 (121 MB)
Have a look at the ground: The texture is pulsating and moving on its own. This is very annoying!

1 Like

It looks like the moss is growing. It’s a nasty noise, isn’t it?
I do not mind this kind of noise because I am mainly creating street views, but I can not see the smoothness for watching as a movie.