24 Hour 4K Live Streaming with Z1 - How To and Setup Tips

Hi @biviel thank you for the kind words as well as your detailed response!

This was to answer @craig’s question about whether this visualization could possibly be used in OBS. My current use case is LED wall as you described next:

This is similar to the current pipeline:

“LED wall”: Theta Z1 → Touchdesigner → Shader → NDI Output → Resolume → HDMI out
We use NDI from Touchdesigner to send video to another VJing software, Resolume, which is then running the secondary monitor output (HDMI) which in turn goes to the LED wall. This allows us to blend with static video and other layers such as black out in case e.g. Touchdesigner crashes or Theta turns off.

This is very very interesting. I’d love to try it. As far as I can see TD fully supports SRT since its 2020 build so it’s a matter of testing it out.
This is an amazing use case for HDR as you suggest, as some areas can be very very dark and others flooded with light.

To answer your questions and ask a few more:

• What latency are we talking about with SRT and ethernet connection?
  • Ethernet is an option with your plugin? If so would a USB hub with ethernet work? Could I use a USB C charger to power the Theta this way?
  • I’m using Theta’s webcam Equirectangular output into the shader which then maps it onto a sphere. then I manipulate the camera’s parameters. I’ve also been able to do the same with dual fisheye footage taken from the camera (offline, ie not realtime). It’s just another step, converting the dual fisheye footage into equirectangular and then feeding that to the shader. I don’t recall the exact steps but I think it involved using a calibration file from PTGUI. But I might be wrong :slight_smile: Either way, if I was to receive dual fisheye video in HDR the workflow would be the same.
  • Overheating: This could be it. I remember the battery level behaving in “ladders” ie stall at 95% and then drop to 92% in a matter of minutes, then stalling again etc. does the camera give you any kind of feedback when it occurs? Noise and fans would not be a problem, but we always need very small and robust solutions to whistand vibration, a distracted team member tripping on it, etc. Could such fan could be powered by the hub I ask about above?
    Many times we play outdoors, and summer here in Portugal can get to 35°C.
  • Still waiting on @craig’s recommended power meter. Will keep you posted on my findings
  • I’ve had too many issues with WIFI on stage in the past. Just to give you an example, our mixing console can be operated via WIFI and OSC/MIDI, and I would say our network is only reliable 50% of the times, which made us turn everything into wired connections. Especially in video, Wifi adds substantial latency.

Thanks!

I created a FB group for my plugin, which development is in progress, but some features are ready to use. (1) Ricoh Theta Z1(or X) “HDR Wireless Live Streaming” Plugin | Facebook

Is your Z1 in developer mode? In theory I can include you in alpha test and provide access to it to try majority of features.

1 Like

@biviel , just an FYI that your app is awesome. Thank you for making it. However, wanted to let you know that it did cause my Z1 to not boot and continuously shutdown every 3 seconds with a triangle warning sign on the camera OLED. I was able to use Vysor and reset the Z1 to factory reset, which deleted all the settings and apps and media. The Z1 is fine now. However, when I tried to use the record and save feature with a live youtube stream, the file didn’t get saved and I ran into the problem with the Z1 stuck in a continuous reboot cycle.

Again, the problem is now resolved, but I wanted to give you a heads up on this. Probably want to make sure the person testing it knows about the vysor reset technique just in case.

1 Like

Hi @craig , thanks for the update! I’m not sure what went wrong. I have one issue that happened to me too and was similar. Reboot cycle was repeating only when z1 was plugged into pc when plugin crashed when a bug was in apk, and i couldnt get uninstall the apk properly… I never had to factory reset my z1 because of this plugin at least. :frowning: I’m sorry if you lost something important. It didn’t happen to Toyo and others but will let them know… I was forced to do factory reset when i was playing a lot with the ricohs wireless live streaming plugin. I’m still not sure what caused it. In my case just by pushing both buttons to reset worked fine but without vysor and factory reset.
To make sure that latest apk works, Toyo tested today and both streaming and recording worked, if you feel comfortable with it you may try after making backup…

I didn’t lose any important information. Fortunately, I use the Z1 for testing, so I’m prepared to lose the images. I plan to try again.

We had an Oppkey picnic yesterday in the afternoon and I ran out of time for testing.

1 Like

And you didn’t live stream The Picnic? :frowning: I’m a bit disappointed…We should all be there as close as possible like in person! :wink:

2 Likes

I’m upgrading the Z1 firmware now to 2.10.3 and will retry the HDR Wireless Live Streaming App.

jesse waiting for the steak.

2 Likes

Thats the spirit in bottle…are you sure you have the required bandwidth near the grill? :wink: thats not at your office right?

walking distance from office.

1 Like

Nice, thanks for sharing

1 Like