Badges / Community Thanks Award

As part of the theta360.guide developers community, we like to periodically give out a Community Thanks Award. :trophy: This is awarded when someone in the forum provides a useful complete solution or helpful tip that provides usable information to the community.

Screen Shot 2024-04-05 at 2.16.51 PM

It’s a modest gesture but we like to recognize members of the community when they contribute back.

Most recently, we’ve awarded the badge to @Manuel_Couto for some really cool work he’s doing with THETA Z1 and streaming into Unity. Thank you, Manuel!

Contribute back to the community and maybe you can join the elite group of Community Thanks Award winners! :tada: :medal_military: :pray:

https://community.theta360.guide/badges/111/community-thanks-award

3 Likes

That’s a well-deserved award for @Manuel_Couto to help with these two problems:

1. THETA does not stream to Unity directly. Solution is to use the newest beta version - Unity 6000.0.0 Beta 11
  2. increase brightness of Unity view by using Unlit Material

I was using the wrong type of material, Lit, instead of Unlit. Additionally, I encountered a peculiar situation where I had to choose “Universal Render Pipeline/Unlit” rather than the standard Unlit option to render the inside of the sphere correctly, despite flipping the normals.

There is also a third finding to reduce the sphere distortion:

Initially, when I projected the 360º image onto the sphere, I noticed some distorted lines, especially around the plinth. I experimented with changing the shape of the sphere, making it more oval or even flattening some sides, but these adjustments didn’t yield the desired results. What proved to be more effective in reducing distortion was adjusting the size of the sphere. Ultimately, I settled on a diameter of 1f. While I haven’t yet determined a direct correlation between sphere size and lens type, through trial and error, I found that this size minimized distortion the most.

I’m actually in the process of preparing a test on a cheap AMD 5700u computer I bought for $269 new to see if it can handle Unity development. There’s no discrete GPU in it, so I’m curious to see if it can handle the Unity test.

The last test I did was using a Zephyrus G14.

The Zephyrus has a Ryzen 9 4900HS with a passmark of 19042 with a discrete GPU, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 Max-Q. with a Average G3D Mark of 9805

The cheaper Ryzen 5700u has a passmark of 15867.

The cheaper computer also onboard graphics with a Average G3D Mark of 2247

I’m going to use the Unity tips from @Manuel_Couto in my hardware test and see if the cheap computer can handle a basic Unity application.

2 Likes

I’m at a loss for words,

To be completely honest, I’ve never been a big fan of forums. In my past experiences, I’ve rarely received replies, and topics often went unresolved indefinitely.

However, this community is different. I received a reply to my first post in less than 24 hours. That’s incredible! The dedication of the moderators and the willingness of users to share their work and findings are truly remarkable.

I’m grateful to have found you all,
And I want to express my gratitude to all the moderators and users for making this community so amazing!

Thank you!

2 Likes