Converting Theta Z1 videos

Dragging and dropping mp4 video files (the ones that show two semi-spherical videos side-by-side) from the desktop into Ricoh Theta app throws “failed to convert video” message. These mp4 videos are all captured with Ricoh Theta Z1 and we can’t find a way to convert the mp4 files into equirectangular videos. How can I convert these spherical videos into equirecentagular?

If you can post a link to a test video file from the camera that fails to convert, we can test it with RICOH desktop software on our computer and attempt to replicate the problem.

You’ll need to upload the video to a service such as dropbox or Google Drive, then share the link to the video on this forum

file deleted by moderator to protect privacy of community member

@craig I appreciate it if you please look into this video.

The video file is in a non-standard video format.

If you are developing the app yourself, use this API to stitch it internally:

Notice of website closure

If you took the video with a third-party application and you are unable to modify the app, you may need to contact the vendor of the mobile app you used. They likely have a system to convert the video frames into still images using their own software.

I can’t stitch the non-standard video file on either Mac or Windows using the desktop app Version 3.17.1, which only stitches video that is in the video format taken with the RICOH camera buttons or the official RICOH THETA mobile app.

The RICOH mobile app for the THETA Z1 takes the video at 4K max resolution using H.264 compression at 30fps.

If you unable to get the source code of the app you are using, you may be able to run an API call using curl prior to using the third-party app and set the videoStitching to “ondevice” using the API above.

OK. I’m going to assume that you have access to the source code of the app you used to take the video. Set the option to stitch “ondevice” prior to taking the video.

videoStitching

Example sequence using curl that you will need to implement in the language you are using for the mobile app. The camera must be in “captureMode” : “video” prior to setting “videoStitching” : “ondevice”

curl \
-X POST 192.168.1.1/osc/commands/execute \
--data '{"name":"camera.setOptions","parameters":{"options":{"captureMode":"video"}}}' \
-H 'Content-Type: application/json' \
-H X-XSRF-Protected:1 \
-w '\n'
curl \
-X POST 192.168.1.1/osc/commands/execute \
--data '{"name":"camera.setOptions","parameters":{"options":{"videoStitching":"ondevice"}}}' \
-H 'Content-Type: application/json' \
-H X-XSRF-Protected:1 \
-w '\n'

Thanks so much for the prompt follow-up.

2 Likes

let me know if you have any other problems. Based on the video file metadata, the project seems interesting. Good luck. :slight_smile: :theta:

@manigolparvar , i would also like to look at the video. Im also recording videos and trying to manipulate metadata at recorded videos. Are you using webapi to initiate recording? Thanks!

Is it possible to set metadata of a video file via webapi? @craig , do you have and notes about metadata manipulation?

As far as I know, all THETA models will automatically save basic metadata with the startCapture command of the webapi for things like data/time, width, height, audio and video format, make, model, orientation, firmware version, camera orientation with pitch, roll, rotation at time of shoot (single value), GPS at time of shoot (single value), projectionType as equirectangular.

I do not think the cameraAPI from the plug-in saves the same metadata automatically.

There is no command on the WebAPI site for the RICOH THETA Z1 that I know of that can set per-frame metadata.

The THETA X has an API on the site for fileformat that can be used to save a CAMM data track which has per frame data that is usable with Google Street View Studio.

1 Like