Dual-fisheye Images With THETA V Plug-in

RAW format is preferable for HDR capture as it provides the data directly from the sensor. Compared to JPEG images this has the following advantages:

• larger bit depth (usually 10 to 14 bits vs 8bits) so greater dynamic range
  • linear data without post-processing, so we avoid WB correction, gamma or SRGB conversion and other aesthetic tweaks as well as JPEG compression.

This allows for more direct and accurate HDR stacking. It’s particularly good for avoiding chromatic edge artefacts.

A number of other 360 cameras now offer raw output in DNG format, so it would be great if the Theta could do so also.

This is great, detailed information. I’ll include this post verbatim in a meeting @jcasman and I have scheduled with the THETA product manager.

It seems like the image file should have

• 10 to 14 bits
  • linear data

I found an easy to understand explanation of linear data images here.

Thank you for this feedback. I’ll ask @jcasman to send this to Ichi Hirota and other developers he is in contact with.

BTW, I think we can resolve the side button sensitivity by adding code to handle long button presses.

The current plug-in may not handle long button presses and camera orientation changes. In the future, we can write some code to handle these conditions.

For number 3, it’s unlikely the community can implement Bluetooth in the short term as we lack a good example with source code.

The configuration tool would have to use Wi-Fi. It would need to be set only once and the configuration would be saved to the camera and survive power off.

I’m now thinking that this might be an inconvenience for the workflow and that scenario 1 or 2 might be better and easier.

Hi Craig,

Thanks for picking this up.

I’ll add two other points:

• most cameras now use DNG format as a documented and standard raw format rather than a proprietary encoding. This is the case for the other Theta competitors that already support raw output.

• I haven’t experimented with the android.api.camera implementation on the Theta but it seems that raw support is sometimes possible through this API, although in somewhat non-standard ways. The best way to provide raw support would be to simply expose it ro the higher level interfaces through OSC and the Theta app.

But… If anyone has spent time trying to access raw data already using the plugin APIs please share your findings either positive or negative!

Thanks
Daniel

Daniel, thanks for this additional insight.

I don’t think anyone has experimented with the API extensively. It’s possible that there is functionality that is not in the documentation.

If the community can figure something out that does not require firmware modifications from Ricoh, this would be the best solution. There’s Android shell and API access, but no root right now.

If we need Ricoh to make a change, it will likely take or long time or be impossible.

My understanding from talking to a Ricoh manager in a casual conversation a year ago is that there are concerns about exposing too much information in the metadata. To review the metadata and get authorization to release the metadata with the RAW image would take a long time. Right now, I don’t think Ricoh has anyone assigned to review the metadata for possible OK to release.

Thus, it would be best if we can figure out something from the community.

Thanks for this info.

Hi, @codetricity, @jcasman
I’ve reproduced the issue above mentioned with my THETA V. Got it!
Please try the following steps to confirm my reproducing it.

Steps.
1.Power on Theta V.
2.Connect your phone with Theta V over wifi and Bluetooth.
3.Start Theta app and set HDR rendering mode while seeing the preview.
4.Take s shot! and transfer the photo to your phone and view it.
5.Close Theta app.
6.Toggle off wifi and Bluetooth on your phone.
7.Press Mode button for 2sec.to enter Plugin Mode.
8.Press Wifi button to change bracketing mode.
9.Press shutter button to take 3 shots.
10.Press Mode button to enter normal mode.
11.Shut down Theta V and reboot it.(You can skip step.10)
12.Press Mode button to enter Plugin mode.
13.Press wifi button to change bracketing mode.
14.Press shutter button again to take 3 shots.
15.Plug Theta V to your computer and browse DCIM folder.
16.You’ll find 4 Dual Fisheye images 3 equirectangular images.

That’s all.
Hope this helps.

Toyo

Thanks for this test. Just to confirm, you’re using the dual-fisheye plug-in from the THETA Store, correct? The one published by Ichi Hirota?

Yes, Craig san(@codetricity)

Thanks. We’ll reproduce this and send the tests to Ichi Hirota.

hi, Craig(@codetricity)
I’ve found useful Tips for Dual Fisheye Plugin.

1. Reboot Theta V every time to switch over Plugin Mode.
  2. Do not use “Start plug-in” option on app.
  3. Do not sleep for Plugin Mode.
  4. At the first shooting of the day, there would be a lot of noises.

Do you believe me?

And, today I visted the 4th. RICOH THETA official Photo Exhibition in Osaka/Japan.

I took some shots with Dual Fisheye Plug-in at the booth. Now on stitching.

Stay tuned!
Toyo

This is great. Is any of your work displayed?

You take great shots.

Thanks for all this wonderful information.

@Juantonto Thanks for posting! I’m interested in this exhibition. Is this held at RICOH Imaging Square? I found this link here: http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/community/squareosaka/

Are you planning to go?

You should organize a theta360 Street View exhibition at the Google campus in Mountain View. It would require a cheap computer like a chromebook to show each picture.

Yes,

You can enjoy the place above in my Theta.BIZ Virtual Tour.
theta_biz_tour

I will add the latest images on it.
Caution; annoying ad banner is displayed right in the center.

Stay tuned!
Toyo

Just using the Google Maps link that you posted I was able to walk around and find the corkboard stands that have all the images up. Pretty cool. :slight_smile: Gives me a good feel for the area. :3theta_s:

@Juantonto, great work with the tour of RICOH Imaging Square in Osaka.

I like your Street View tours more than the tiny planet images on display. I wonder if RICOH Imaging can display more community images as Street View tour style instead of tiny planets?

I absolutely agree with you. Facebook friend of mine, a great SV photographer(potaro67) is also invited in this exhibition. I am very proud of his works.

Of course, I voted No.30.

東尋坊; Tojinbo, one of the most famous sight-seeing spots in Japan.

Too small to find out! Where is potaro67’s work?
Yeah, I also hate tiny planets. His work is always huge and massive Theta images.

I tell you a kind of scecret I’ve found. See the screenshot above. If you upload a Theta image to theta360.com without GPano, you can do the same.

Throw them away!
Toyo

so I think there is no official way to turn off image stitching, I found a plugin by Ichi (http://theta360.guide/plugin-guide/fisheye/) Sample Command is (mParameters.set("RIC_PROC_STITCHING_TYPE", "RicNonStitching");) , so is there a way we can use this plugin to get unstitched image same time wifi transfer to PC?
Thanks

Note that the dual-fisheye plug-in is now in the store.

https://pluginstore.theta360.com/plugins/com.hirota41.dualfisheye_plugin/

There is no example to transfer it to a PC or mobile phone with Wi-Fi. It’s technically possible to do this, but no one has finished a plug-in yet.

Someone on this site finished a modification of Facial Blur to download the file.

It’s a straightforward modification. You may want to take the picture with the CameraAPI and from within the Plug-in, use the WebAPI (you can access it from inside the plug-in) to transfer the image. This might be easier to implement.

If you finish the plug-in, please submit it to the plug-in store. @jcasman can help you with the submission. We’re trying to get more community plug-ins in the store by the end of the year.

@jasondaywalker, in addition to the information above, I know that @jcasman is working on an article that profiles H3D and the work that @BrianKitchen10 is doing.

Brian successfully built a dual-fisheye plug-in that automatically moves the image over to another computer for processing using the USB cable. I believe the USB cable also powers the THETA.

As you may be working on your own solution right now, thought I would share with the clever and creative technique from Brian.

1. user puts THETA into plug-in mode
  2. Plug-in runs as an infinite loop and constantly checks if there is a picture in the storage folder
  3. If no picture is present, then another picture is taken
  4. He uses ptpcam and libptp on a separate computer to move the picture over
  5. The control program (the one using ptpcam) deletes all the pictures in the THETA V storage area, causing Brian’s plug-in to take a new picture
  6. The control program then transfers the new picture over.

Cool! I hope that Brian is able to release this plug-in through the THETA Store. It’s a cool idea.

There is a long through on using the USB API here:

If you download the image to a mobile app. You can use the API here:

https://developers.theta360.com/en/docs/v2.1/api_reference/commands/camera.list_files.html

I have not tried this, but I believe you can boot the plug-in with this API

https://developers.theta360.com/en/docs/v2.1/api_reference/commands/camera._plugin_control.html